Thread: Micro Cinema Camera vs GH5

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Maybe it's just me but the graded images seem way too saturated to me, beyond my preference and beyond what I'd expect to see

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    In the pocket and micro the red and blue channels are gained to offset the disparity in the number of pixels sampled. There is no correction in the color matrix which is why they lack saturated greens.

Anybody want to do the math on the GH5 s16 crop? I haven't been impressed with the GH line since the 2 but this thing is looking pretty solid. It will be interesting to see the firmware rollouts.
    Wonder what is correct way to back those greens to normal level? I tried boost R and B Gain and than adjust White balance. Seems ok. Also experimented with RGB mixer but i still not sure how to use this tool correctly.

P.S.
    BMMCC/BMPCC sensor size: 12.48mm x 7.02mm

regarding specs at maging-resource.com:
    Panasonic GH5 Approximate Pixel Pitch: 3.34 microns, so 3840x2160 produces sensor area 12.82mm x 7.21mm

GH4 Approximate Pixel Pitch: 3.75 microns
    GH3 Approximate Pixel Pitch: 3.75 microns

You can't use primaries because they affect the white balance/overall image you need to use secondaries.

If you're grading in Resolve then Parallel nodes, Hue vs Hue, and Hue vs Sat curves can help get BMD green out of the desaturated yellow zone (using secondaries to isolate the impact).

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    If you're grading in Resolve then Parallel nodes, Hue vs Hue, and Hue vs Sat curves can help get BMD green out of the desaturated yellow zone (using secondaries to isolate the impact).
    yes i use this method too but always search for maybe more perfect and natural way to put colors in place for starting point. Maybe some kind of matrix correction calculated based on color chart.
    Screen-Shot-2017-05-18-at-11.13.12-PM.jpgScreen-Shot-2017-05-18-at-11.13.21-PM.jpg

BMMCC RAW color corrected to match GH5 saturation and contrast. So many color depth hidden inside this little camera.
    Screen-Shot-2017-05-19-at-12.00.26-AM.jpg
    Last edited by shijan; 05-18-2017 at 04:10 PM.

I discovered the pics posted here on the forum got horribly compressed and scaled down, so you can't compare the details... Colors yes, but details no.

Here is the GH5 correct pic to compare at:
    http://i.imgur.com/beTW55s.jpg

Please upload the corrected BMMCC pic also on imgur, so we can compare them at par.

EDIT:
    Maybe, it's better also to use a pic with the face, because it's a very important zone to judge the pic. Skin tones and facial details are so important...
    Last edited by frank10; 05-19-2017 at 04:23 AM.

The only thing I didn't enjoyed about the Micro 4K was the need to have two cables connected to the external monitor. (one for recording and one for change settings)

Another one. Files uploading check the video later for the link. Tiffen nd werecused on both. Her shirt on thr gh5 is a pain in the ass

https://youtu.be/cEWS0xoSFww

Hello guys. I apologize for replying so late. I purposely shot this the way i did because somebody wanted to see how the cameras would react to intense contrast (scene brightness and colors) I totally loved the idea because its real world test and not someone shooting at some piece of paper in a conrtrolled environment. The whole point of the test was to see how much work it would take to make these footage look decent. Thanks again. Sub to my channel i have more tests. Message me there if you need some other tests
    Last edited by jsfilmz; 05-19-2017 at 11:09 AM.

I did some comments wrong, so I'll rewrite:
    What I meant was it's unfair to compare GH5 with very bad colors with the correct colors on the BMMCC: of course the winner is BMMCC. But this time the problem is the Resolve postprocessing, not the GH5.
    So, if you don't get the shirt white, it should be better to record on the GH5 in normal mode without VLOG and any LUT, only WB oncamera, at least you'll get better colors to compare.