Thread: Aputure 300d (2K HMI equivalent)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm definitely picking this up soon as it drops.

Over this past weekend, I picked up 2 of the COB 120Ds. I was aware of the 120t for a while, but had no idea they made daylight versions. I was blown away... a single source daylight LED, with an attachable fresnel lens? Whaaaaaaaat. So cool. The light looks great and I used them for the very first time on a little short. Just blasting these things through windows honestly gave me just enough fire power to pull off the shots I needed. I absolutely love them.

Here's footage from the short I shot using the 120d's for the interior shots: https://vimeo.com/214739041 pw is midas.

Really enjoyed working with them. If the 300d can give me more than what the 120d is giving me, then I'm pumped. Amazing how much light you get from a sketchy old cabin with old electrical / circuits in the middle of no where.
    Blackmagic Tests & Other Footage: https://vimeo.com/romanlegion

BMCC 2.5K MFT & BMPCC w/ SB

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post

Over this past weekend, I picked up 2 of the COB 120Ds. I was aware of the 120t for a while, but had no idea they made daylight versions. I was blown away... a single source daylight LED, with an attachable fresnel lens? Whaaaaaaaat. So cool. The light looks great and I used them for the very first time on a little short. Just blasting these things through windows honestly gave me just enough fire power to pull off the shots I needed. I absolutely love them.

Here's footage from the short I shot using the 120d's for the interior shots: https://vimeo.com/214739041 pw is midas.

Really enjoyed working with them. If the 300d can give me more than what the 120d is giving me, then I'm pumped. Amazing how much light you get from a sketchy old cabin with old electrical / circuits in the middle of no where.
    Bingo.

Sure worked as daylight flooding the cabin.

Win.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

So I collected all the available numbers on this light, and put them all in my favorite Texas Instruments number cruncher, and it told me the answer was 12.

I think I did something wrong...
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    So I collected all the available numbers on this light, and put them all in my favorite Texas Instruments number cruncher, and it told me the answer was 12.

I think I did something wrong...
    Did you set the calculator to world domination mode?
    Aaron Lochert

I got clarification! (Kind of)

31,000 lux is at 1 meter with the 60 degree reflector on. It's important to note that they've also designed this to have no hotspots, so it's an even 31,000 lux from edge to edge of the beam, where other lights might have a brighter spot in the middle. So that might mean it's still throwing more total light than the others if the others have a lot of drop-off.

I was also given figure of 187,800 lux at 0.5m with the fresnel on, but again, Ted failed to mention what beam angle this is. Womp womp.

Apparently they will be releasing full photometrics soon, which will clear up my last few questions.
    Aaron Lochert

31k with a 60 reflector is not shabby at all. Definitely powerful enough to fill out a 4x3 softbox, or punch through a 6x6, or bounce fill a room, or to light up a night medium-wide shot (roughly 50 fc at 25 feet- ISO 400 f4).

My bad math tells me that the 187.8k lux with the fresnel at 0.5 m is probably with the 42 degree spot angle, not the 12 degree. 187.8 x 0.25 gives you 47,000 lux at 1 meter (double the distance, quarter the power). 1.5x as powerful as the 60 degree (a 0.66 ratio). 0.66 of 60 degrees is 40 degrees.

I'll let you fine folks double check my work. Either way, I'm buying one if not two of these when they come out.

Yeah, 60 degrees with 31K Lux at a meter plays in the same ballpark as a 2K open face or an M8 HMI (40K lx @ 1m 60 deg).

Finally I can say I'm feeling comfortable enough to invest in LED.

Double checking your math:

31,000 lux at 1 meter and 60 degrees is roughly 32,000 lumens.

187,800 lux at 0.5 meters and 42 degrees is roughly 22,000 lumens.

187,800 lux at 0.5 meters and 12 degrees is roughly 1600 lumens. Probably safe to say it's with the widest spread. I can't possibly imagine that much light loss.

Which means...

Given:
    Joker 800, 43 degrees (widest lens), 3 ft: 7300 fc, 78,576 lx.

Given:
    Arri M8 40 degrees (middle setting), 3 ft: 8659 fc, 93,205 lx.

Calculated:
    300D, 42 degrees, 3 ft: 3444 fc, 37,075 lx.

Which may or may not mean anything depending on how the beam itself behaves between the units. If the joker/arri has a brighter spot in the middle and darker sides than the Aputure, the total output of the two beams might still be the same. But as of right now, it's looking about a full stop darker than 800w HMI units when it has the fresnel on.
    Last edited by LochnessDigital; 05-01-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Aaron Lochert

So how would this compare with a Dedolight DLH400DT in terms of output ? (HMI)
    The 300D looks good, however my only hesitation is the unwieldy 3 piece setup with huge controller thingy. This is not practical on location, especially if one has several of these units.
    If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

I am going to answer my own question. Based on a call I made to dedolight technicians in Germany, they said that HMI puts out about 80 Lumens per Watt of clean light at 1 meter, LED's put out between 60-70 Lumens depending on the quality of their light (how clean they are) at the same distance. This means that the 300D is somewhere between 18000-21000 Lumens, whereas a Joker 800 is around 64000 Lumens. So it is in fact at least 3 times brighter.
    If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post

Nice. Where you using the 120d's as a fill, or were they the only source coming in the window?