Thread: Choosing a SmallRig Mounting Plate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Choosing a SmallRig Mounting Plate 
    I'm starting to build up a kit of accessories for my URSA Mini, and since I'm on a very limited budget, have been considering parts from SmallRig.

Right off the bat I have a bit of choice paralysis over a mounting base. They have two options available that look suitable:

smallrig-baseplates-1674-1775.jpg

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mul...4&category=843

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mou...amps-1775.html

Between the two, I like the fact that the 1775 has front and back rod supports, but the top plate isn't as protected by rubber pads as well as the 1674. SmallRig includes the 1674 in a kit they offer for the URSA Mini, which implies that it's their recommendation for the camera. But looking at it from the underside, which is mostly hollow, I wonder if the material is a bit thin compared to the 1775.

Just wondering among folks here what kind of performance to expect from SmallRig components and if there is any feedback on experience with either of these parts.
    Last edited by Earl R. Thurston; 02-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    I'm starting to build up a kit of accessories for my URSA Mini, and since I'm on a very limited budget, have been considering parts from SmallRig.

Right off the bat I have a bit of choice paralysis over a mounting base. They have two options available that look suitable:

smallrig-baseplates-1674-1775.jpg

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mul...4&category=843

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mou...amps-1775.html

Between the two, I like the fact that the 1775 has front and back rod supports, but the top plate isn't as protected by rubber pads as well as the 1674. SmallRig includes the 1674 in a kit they offer for the URSA Mini, which implies that it's their recommendation for the camera. But looking at it from the underside, which is mostly hollow, I wonder if the material is a bit thin compared to the 1775.

Just wondering among folks here what kind of performance to expect from SmallRig components and if there is any feedback on experience with either of these parts.
    If I was you, I would get the 1798. The 1798 has more support for bigger cameras that will be front heavy. I'm using the 1775 as a baseplate for my BMMCC rig and it's built like a tank. The 1798 just adds another plate at the bottom for support.

I'm not sold on my SmallRIG base plate, I've had it for about 5-6 months now and it comes loose all the time (with 2x 1/4 screws in) and the 15mm rod holes on one side actually closed over (I guess is the term) and the rods wouldn't go through, I had to get a screwdriver in there and open it back up (I think this was most likely caused by heat).

I'm about to buy some more 1/4 screws, maybe that will assist more.

Neither, You should look at the Wooden Camera Ursa Mini Unified baseplate with rod support. A much better built unit with the support this camera needs.

It was stated that he is on a very limited budget. Wooden Camera products exceeds very limited budget in my eyes. Just my opinion.

I use various Smallrig components and haven't had any probs. They all do what they were designed to do.
    There is quite a choice out there, take a look at this thread - http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ate-and-handle

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    If I was you, I would get the 1798. The 1798 has more support for bigger cameras that will be front heavy. I'm using the 1775 as a baseplate for my BMMCC rig and it's built like a tank. The 1798 just adds another plate at the bottom for support.
    The 1798 had also been a contender, but in my case I have a Cartoni quick release plate which would act as the bottom plate between the two rod supports. Glad to hear your comment about the 1775.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Neither, You should look at the Wooden Camera Ursa Mini Unified baseplate with rod support. A much better built unit with the support this camera needs.
    Indeed, that's way out of my budget. Plus, I wouldn't need the quick release as I already have that on my tripod head.

A budget is important, but getting an I adequate bit, that needs to support the entire static and dynamic load of your rig is Not the place to try and save $. Small Rig and similar inexpensive units look nice, I tried several, but they all failed to hold my AF100 rig securely, or added movement between the camera and tripod plate. You need to have at least 2, preferably 3 (one of which should be 3/8the) mounting screws between camera and the rod support plate. This plate needs a secure adjustment up/down to get proper center spacing between the rods and lens center, tomallowma matt box to fit properly, or be preset to the ARRI standard setting (thismis where most inexpensive knock off plates fail, or add movement.

The Wooden Camera and Zacuto Universal,p,area would also work, and can be used copies can be found. You have $3-5K invested in your camera, and trying to save $100-200 on an inadequate mounting plate is Not what I would recommend. Your entire rig is only as secure as its weakest point, and this can be a very weak spot if not done correctly. I have seen cheap mounting plates fail to wither hold the rig adequately, adding camera movement, or fail completely, dropping thencsmera setup to the deck.

The choice is yours, but look around for some better used solutions that might be closer to your budget first.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    The 1798 had also been a contender, but in my case I have a Cartoni quick release plate which would act as the bottom plate between the two rod supports. Glad to hear your comment about the 1775.
    Then go for it. I have the Manfrotto 577 quick release plate on top of the 1775 so I can attach my BMMCC to a tripod without the Rod system.