Thread: PWM(S-BUS)+LANC+DC12V BMMCC Angle Breakout Expansion Box Module by RADIOPROEKTOR

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    (wish it was some kind of special inexpensive plastic for CNC machining, but probably it not exists)
    I believe Delrin is the composite/plastic used in follow focus gears that is pretty robust, though I personally would favor aluminum. I think there is enough room to extend the box rearward without compromising the design philosophy to allow for some extra space. I'm looking at it right now and the box doesn't protrude further than the attached LP-E6 battery. I don't have the Smallrig cage (no PL adapter support options) so maybe that's the limiting factor in the design in that dimension.

Sign me up for the aluminum V2.

Yes, PL mount integrated to cage is the strong argument to use Wooden Camera BMMCC cage. I never look to that cage from this position. Also probably PL mount attachment sets camera position in cage and this explains why other people without PL mount attachment don't expect problems to fit Expansion Box to Wooden Camera cage.
    If i move body too far backward it will not align with Ugreen angle HDMI adapter also there is some internal design limits. So currently 0.6mm shift backward and more precise mounting of VGA socket is the only possible improvements and i still can not 100% guarantee that it will fit to Wooden Camera Cage.

BTW This is how Expansion Box v1 fits to Howie Roll's Wooden Camera cage:

Last edited by shijan; 10-18-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Hey Shijan,

I didn't mean move the box rearward, rather extend it as in make it longer to allow more room for connectors internally. It's already very compact, I don't think adding a couple MM would hurt anything especially if it made the aluminum design feasible. You've got about 10mm of space before the expansion box is flush with the battery. Looking forward to what you come up with.

But what is the reason to add additional space if all fits well inside? Also i design it to fit SmallRg cage dimensions. Rear TRS jacks align rear edge of the cage, and compact size angle TRS jack connector aligned to battery and to angle HDMI connector rear edge. This adds additional protection to components and makes solid look.

I guess I misread the part where you said it didn’t fit inside well.

Sign me up for v2 also!

Quote Originally Posted by LJR View Post
    Sign me up for v2 also!
    you are fanatics

You design good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I believe Delrin is the composite/plastic used in follow focus gears that is pretty robust, though I personally would favor aluminum. I think there is enough room to extend the box rearward without compromising the design philosophy to allow for some extra space. I'm looking at it right now and the box doesn't protrude further than the attached LP-E6 battery. I don't have the Smallrig cage (no PL adapter support options) so maybe that's the limiting factor in the design in that dimension.

Sign me up for the aluminum V2.
    for machining its the process that's expensive not really the materials (though the harder they are the more expensive it is to machine them - hence CNC'd alu being MUCH cheaper than steel for example)
    delrin is good for things like bushing and gears because its naturally very chemically robust and has a very slippery surface (so self lubricates)

for an electronics enclosure typically ABS or poly-carbonate infused ABS is the goto material - these can be machined as well as injection molded
    nylon can work as well

note that 3d printing these materials is no where near as robust as machining or molding them

Some things done during last months:

- It seems CNC Aluminum enclosure will not happen. Huge delays due summer-autumn typhoons disasters in Asia factories. Also CNC manufacture prices for this part appears way higher than i expected.
    - After watching one more tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7uMkBzOMaM i decide move to silicone mold rubber and liquid urethane plastic casting. Again.
    After bad experience with DLP 3D printer in spring (too shrinked dimensions due wrong model orientation and printer tuning) i decide go for Stratasys Objet 30 dental prime 3D printer. And it was another disappointment. All surface was covered with thin rubber-like layer of un washed support material. Also finish quality appears way lower than it was from DLP printer. Stratasys Objet 30 PolyJet 3D print (XY 45 micron with 16 micron layer) looks worse and less clean than DLP 3D print (XY 50 micron with 25 microns layer). It is also overpriced compare DLP and needs even more hand work post processing than removing support pins from DLP printers.
    But after 2 days of hand work master model became clear and very smooth.
    - Currently i finish the design and almost get all necessary components to build complicated and precise support for futureproof silicone mold.
    - I found small factory team who can do silicone casting with vacuum degassing and do liquid urethane plastic casting in high pressure camera. This helps to get rid of the bubbles when casting, but kind of technology that not so easy to setup at home.
    - 3D model was redrawn in CAD programs and overall geometry became better and cleaner.
    - Rear side of the Expansion Box is now reinforced with stainless steel washers inside.
    - All electronic components assembled and ready long time ago.
    - More additional custom made tools where created to speed up manufacture.
    - For safer shipping i got small hard cardboard package boxes now.

Last edited by shijan; 12-15-2017 at 03:17 PM.