Thread: Getting an Ursa Mini soon...What tripod should I buy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Getting an Ursa Mini soon...What tripod should I buy? 
    As in title, I'm upgrading to a UM4.6 EF from the BMPCC and therefore making a huge jump in terms of the set up weight. our current tripod has seen its last days so we will probably also buy a new tripod along with the kit.

Wondering what's a decently affordable (<USD2k) and quality tripod that can fit my needs. I was originally looking at the Sachtler Ace L but then I realised that it's not going to be solid enough for the Ursa Mini.

Looking to use the set up with the BM Viewfinder, shoulder kit, vmount and Samyang DS lenses. However, I'd like to future proof my tripod to be able to carry the weight of the CP2/CN-E/XEEN type of lenses as well.

I haven't found much substantial discussion online and would really appreciate any suggestions put forth by anyone.

Thanks!

I really like my Vinten Vision Blue. It has variable counter balance, so provided you've centred the camera and you're within the minimum/maximum weight, you can dial in perfect balance. The fluid drag adjustments are great and it has some smart engineering to allow fast pans with more pressure, but increased resistance with less pressure.

I got mine used on eBay, beaten up and covered in sand/dirt. It still worked smoothly, which suggests very good build quality and sealing.

The Blue 3 and Blue 5 are the same, but take heavier loads.

What is good for one person is a load of crap to another. It may be personal preference but it can also be because the person had not used a better tripod than the one he/she is recommending. It is best to try yourself.
    Frank raves about his Vinten Vision 20 from the 80s no doubt it is a good fluid head but I must caution buying any old head that are no longer serviced by the manufacturer or third party, they are potentially near their end of life and if anything goes wrong you end up wih a expensive paperweight. I prefer buying nearly new used something with a lot of life and serviceable if needed.

I've got this, but non-carbon version. Works a treat and is very light weight.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...re_tripod.html

I used to own the Miller Air (CF version) and it's great. Although an 11lb max might be pushing it. (I think they can realistically probably handle a bit more though.)

you know what I hate is that most about video tripod legs they aren't 70"+ like they just don't care about tall people having to bend over. SUCKS

The tripod height is set for the subject, not for the operator's comfort. Sorry.

I just noticed that a Compass 12 does 10 kilos, I might be able to push the budget a little more. I've rented an Air before and it was amazing. anyone have the Compass 12 though? any suggestions for sticks?
    Last edited by basilyeo; 12-11-2016 at 10:11 PM.

I use one of these for my 4.6k, The head is pretty good and handles the weight alright, the sticks are so-so, about what you'd expect at that price point.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...52248989522%2C

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
    I use one of these for my 4.6k, The head is pretty good and handles the weight alright, the sticks are so-so, about what you'd expect at that price point.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...52248989522%2C
    Thanks mate, I'll check with my local dealer to see if they have it.