Thread: Are people still shooting with the pocket?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Are people still shooting with the pocket? 
    Just wanted to get a feel of what people are seeing out there. With the GH4 out for a while now and the Sony A7 bandwagoners, are people still shooting with BM's small but powerful camera?

I'm not even seeing the micro get as much use as the pocket initially did. On the other hand, I see the URSA mini 4.6k everywhere.

I still scratch my head as to why BM didn't just put 60p in this camera or make a V2 with it. Yes, I know the reasons... hardware and cooling limitations. But still... my iPhone can shoot 120p. My fuji X-Pro2 can shoot 60p no problem.

And the micro is a step forward in some ways but also a step back. It just doesn't make complete sense.

The POCKET is still my main tool even though I prefer the BMCC for the extra resolution and that lovely tap-to-punch in screen.

The Pocket is my main car shooting camera for obvious reasons - the small size and weight. It's also my main steady shot camera because I can get nearly any typical steady-shot with it on my single-handle gimbal - and a great many NON typical steady shots too. The thing is just so insanely USEFUL.

As for IQ - the fact that it's only 1080p matters a LOT less when you're doing mid and close shots with it. Again, for obvious reasons...basic optical property.

Sure the Mini4.6k could in many ways be thought of as the ultimate camera, but I do A LOT of shooting where the size on the Mini would be a really big problem.
    And the cost of the ecosystem is rough - V-mount batteries, C-Fast cards, more expensive accessories. For me the better 4k option is still the BMPC 4k Production camera.

I did a lot of compressed codec 4k shooting with my Samsung NX1, which everyone pretty well agreed has better IQ than the GH4....but against the RAW of the Pocket and the BMCC it's image always suffered...A LOT. So I sold it. And I don't really miss it.

If IMAGE QUALITY is what you're after in your productions - once you shoot RAW it is very very hard to ever go back. The only non-RAW I'd use anymore is Blackmagic 4k ProRes.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

You mean the mini Alexa? Yep, still nothing like it out there.

Version 2? Bring it, I'd buy 10 of them.

Shot all day yesterday with mine for a documentary about a revolutionary computer science program at a community college - two Pockets actually, one with primes and the other with a SpeedBooster and 24-105... And I don't shoot raw, its all ProRes HQ.

Mine definitely see use on a daily basis. Typically they are B & C cameras to my BMCC but there have been a few commercial projects where we've shot entirely on pockets. Mainly for the size and versatility obviously. Not to mention personally I've never cared for the colors out of the sony A series, and even more so with the Gh4.

I do however wish they took LPE6 batteries natively and had 60p but I guess that's what the Micro is for.

Still using mine. Micro wasn't worth the upgrade for me. The pocket is still punching way above its weight imo, only thing I'm upgrading to is a pocket v2. I really can't say enough about that little camera, it's been so reliable for me. For the price it's the BEST indie digital film camera ever made
    I've written backmagic a couple times to express my happiness with it.

Honestly, I haven't been. I reach for the GH4 pretty much 10 out of 10 times these days. Actually thought about selling the pocket.

BUT... I won't. I really do love it. Not using it is more indicative of the crap I film that doesn't warrant any extra headaches for additional quality. Sucks, but it's a sign that I need to step my game up and do work that deserves the pocket!

I still use mine quite frequently, it's an amazing camera! (shame the screen got 2 cracks in it a little while ago, still useable though).

The only commercial use mine see's is weddings, it's perfect for that type of work simply based off it's form factor. But there are many, many things I would like added into this camera (like everybody else here).

When they released the Micro I thought to myself... FINALLY, but no screen killed it straight away. I know you can add one, but I don't want to.

Too me, if they combined the best features of both cameras, I'd be sold for at least 3 in a heart beat.

My main camera is a pocket with a speedbooster and 24-105. I love the look that this combination produces. I have been testing a bunch of cameras and lenses, such as sony a7s, rx10ii, bmcc, but the pocket with 24-105 is clear winner here for me.
    My B&C cams are simply another pocket and bmcc. I also have an bmmcc, but don't use it much.
    Dreaming about the pocket v2.