Thread: Wich Mac Pro?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wich Mac Pro? 
    I have to get rid of my old 3.1 Mac Pro (early 2008) and I have two interesting options:

- Mac Pro 2016 (6.1) - 2.7GHz 12 Core - 64GB RAM - Dual 700's - 1TB SSD (around 7.000)
    - Mac Pro 2012 (5.1) - 3.46GHz 12 Core - 128GB RAM - NVIDIA TITAN 12GB - 16TB HD (around 5.300)

What would be the best configuration for FCP X 10.3 and Da Vinci Resolve 12.5... and future versions of these softwares. :-)

Any other idea for an excellent and cheaper Mac configuration?

Either one works for Resolve 12.5.x. Of course the more juice it has the better.

Just be aware of the potential issues with the D700s. Usually it's when you are pushing things like using NR, but I've personally had bad renders and many others I know have too.

I have a two 6core d500 with 16G. We love them. Very quiet. Does NOT generate nearly as much heat as the previous version. Sits in the desktop (convenient to plug external drives) and is VERY fast with the SSD.

In the configuration guide, BlackMagic says that D700s are highly recommended for NR and optical flow... Are D500s really enough for heavy work? I mostly work in HD RAW and sometimes ProRes HQ.

See Steve's post here. If you're not doing 4K, I'm sure the Dual D500 will handle the work. D700s sound great on paper but wary about the reported problems. Now if you can wait until 2017, I'm sure you see 'newer' Mac Pros with different graphics cards and overall updated specs. The 'new' Mac Pro is three years old in another seven weeks or so.

I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe it's the end of an era.

In a way the future 'newer' Mac Pro may depend upon when Intel releases the appropriate updates to the Xeon processors. At this point they've only announced one new Xeon and that's at the low end. Several new i5 and i7 processors have been announced. So it may appear that Apple is disinterested in professional workstation solutions (given the number of items they've walked away from since the crowning of Tim Cook), but it may be their hands are tied until Intel provides suitable Xeon upgrades.

I know there is no actual ideal solution with a Mac, now. But my Mac Pro 3.1 (16 MB, Radeon HD 5770, NVidia Q 4000) is no longer sufficient... and I can't even upgrade to Sierra OS X 10.3 now...
    I also have a new offer for a Mac Pro (5.1) -12 core 3.46GHz / 96GB RAM / nVidia GTX 980Ti 6GB, and I also could add one of the following graphic card: the Radeon HD 5770, the NVidia Q4000 or a NVidia GTX-470.
    Between all these configuration, what could be the best one (The Mac Pro 6.1 with D700s or D500s, the 5.1 with Titan X, or the 5.1 with the GTX 980Ti and one of the 3 other graphic cards: one as the computing unit, the other one for the display) ?

While I'm perfectly happy with my 5,1 for now. My deliverables are HD. Once I go to UHD I'm not so sure. I'd go over the the 'Mac Pro' Forum on the Macrumors web site and repeat your question there. With a large population of individuals who are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to systems, they will give you another POV.