Thread: BMD's Biggest Differentiator

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 BMD's Biggest Differentiator 
    Every camera that BMD produces from here should only shoot RAW with footage that is automatically designed to import into Resolve, Auto Grade and simply export in any format.

Right now they have become just like every other camera and smartphone company on the planet with compressed in camera formats.....nothing special and nothing different.

The magic BMD have is in being able to capture RAW, it is just so beautiful to be be able to pull, push and grade....like Anthony Robbins and Steve Jobs would have said. it's 'Different, Interesting and Memorable'....versus 'whatever'

Geez....Kodak is about to produce a SmartPhone that will happily compete with ProRes from a BMD camera and yet BMD are so much better than this and equal to RED.....if they choose uncompressed RAW as the input.

Why would they ever give this up to be just like everyone else......FFS disable the compressed crap that is processed in camera and make it a no brainer for everyone to simply use Resolve to post to wherever, whenever and which ever format they choose.....gee, go crazy and schedule uploads to social media ??

Maybe even go crazy and go the 'BMD Cloud'
    Last edited by AndrewDeme; 10-21-2016 at 11:45 PM.
    Lotsa Zeon thingos with thousands of cute cores...enough is never enough

www.andrewdeme.com
    http://www.youtube.com/andrewdeme
    www.facebook.com/andrewdeme
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewdeme

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Are you drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by kgimedia View Post
    Are you drunk?
    Nope, but I think it is so lovingly of you to ask....thanks.

So much for 'Think Different'

www.andrewdeme.com

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by kgimedia View Post
    Are you drunk?
    I laughed way too hard at this XD

If I do understand this correctly Andrew, you're criticizing Blackmagic's implementation/move to compressed RAW vs. its very initial offering of uncompressed RAW?

You do realize most if not all the Blackmagic cams, the ones that can record internally have Lossless compressed RAW? Lossless is EXACTLY the same bit for bit once decompressed as uncompressed. It's just smaller in file size.
    ( I'm going to take flack for using the term "exactly" but it really is just that. )

I personally don't see how having the other formats takes anything away from that. It's just more options for those who choose to use it.

The 3:1 compressed Raw and even 4:1 are also still extremely capable and hold up very well at even more savings in storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolac View Post
    I laughed way too hard at this XD

If I do understand this correctly Andrew, you're criticizing Blackmagic's implementation/move to compressed RAW vs. its very initial offering of uncompressed RAW?

You do realize most if not all the Blackmagic cams, the ones that can record internally have Lossless compressed RAW? Lossless is EXACTLY the same bit for bit once decompressed as uncompressed. It's just smaller in file size.
    ( I'm going to take flack for using the term "exactly" but it really is just that. )

I personally don't see how having the other formats takes anything away from that. It's just more options for those who choose to use it.

The 3:1 compressed Raw and even 4:1 are also still extremely capable and hold up very well at even more savings in storage space.
    Unfortunately this forum has a history of attacking the person and laughing at the person and immediately isolating the person instead of simply focusing on the content and concepts....well done to the first poster as you are an excellent demonstration of the toxic culture....with a long history.

As for the idea of lossless versus pure RAW, yes I do understand.

As for minimal lossy such as 3:1 or 4:1 or go crazy and pick something in between such as 3.14159265358979323846 (could have gone more but cut and paste gets boring real quick).....this is where it all becomes grey and BMD just become like 'any other camera'....whilst the whole time they have this amazing post processing engine called Davinci Resolve which can take advantage of serious processing power in Davinci, even on a laptop.
    Last edited by AndrewDeme; 10-22-2016 at 01:03 AM.

www.andrewdeme.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDeme View Post
    Unfortunately this forum has a history of attacking the person and laughing at the person and immediately isolating the person instead of simply focusing on the content and concepts....well done to the first poster as you are an excellent demonstration of the toxic culture.

As for the idea of lossless versus pure RAW, yes I do understand.

As for minimal lossy such as 3:1 or 4:1 or go crazy and pick something in between such as 3.14159265358979323846 (could have gone more but cut and paste gets boring real quick).....this is where it all becomes grey and BMD just become like 'any other camera'
    So if I understand you're unsatisfied with BMD's RAW compression, I still don't get what part of that you seem to attribute to "any other camera"
    Are you saying you wish they were more innovative with their compression? what do wish to be improved?

You don't like the quality of the 3:1 or 4:1 RAW? You want the size of the files to smaller than they already are?

You're being too general.

Senior Member Revdesign Industries's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDeme View Post
    Unfortunately this forum has a history of attacking the person and laughing at the person and immediately isolating the person instead of simply focusing on the content and concepts....well done to the first poster as you are an excellent demonstration of the toxic culture....with a long history.

Hi Andrew, I think it was just a little humor dabbed in. The original message or context of the thread was undoubtedly a bit hard to comprehend as far as sentence structure goes. Let's just say it was a little comic relief following intense brain workout from reading the 1st post. At least that's my opinion. I find your posts to be informative so i appreciate your positive contributions here.
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Zolac View Post
    So if I understand you're unsatisfied with BMD's RAW compression, I still don't get what part of that you seem to attribute to "any other camera"
    Are you saying you wish they were more innovative with their compression? what do wish to be improved?

You don't like the quality of the 3:1 or 4:1 RAW? You want the size of the files to smaller than they already are?

You're being too general.
    Have no issue with any of the compression formats that BMD provide across any of their cameras, none at all...I just wouldn't be bothered to use any of them as I can't see the point of shooting anything but RAW.

My desktop doesn't benefit at all from any of the compressed formats and I don't lack storage capacity, either in camera or in post processing.

So if you think I am being too general then let me be very very specific:-

1. The camera has the processing power to record uncompressed RAW (very few cameras do)
    2. Not all companies that market uncompressed RAW are talking about the same type of 'uncompressed'
    3. The average desktop, including laptops have more than enough grunt and storage to 'conform', including a basic grade of uncompressed RAW from any of the BMD Cameras
    4. This to me is kinda like next, next, finish and from there it gets really easy for everyone that touches the output
    5. My feeling is that the relationship between the output of RAW from the camera and ever so powerful processing power of Davinci could be leveraged more
    Last edited by AndrewDeme; 10-22-2016 at 01:13 AM.

www.andrewdeme.com

If I am understanding what Andrew is saying, continue with Raw and compressed Raw innovations and do away with Prores. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
    Hi Andrew, I think it was just a little humor dabbed in. The original message or context of the thread was undoubtedly a bit hard to comprehend as far as sentence structure goes. Let's just say it was a little comic relief following intense brain workout from reading the 1st post. At least that's my opinion. I find your posts to be informative so i appreciate your positive contributions here.
    Mate I have been on the Net since the mid 70's and there is nothing at all that phases me, other than small mindedness....as for sentence structure, never really did get much past Primary School English.

www.andrewdeme.com