Thread: No love for the Ursa Mini 4K?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Absolutely. I almost have no complaints about the BMPC. It is a really good cinema camera for the price, but I really like the ability to do some slow-mo when I want to. 4K60p and 1080@120p is very tempting. Beside I only hear good things about the UM4K ergonomics compare to the BMPC4K so I guess it should be okay.

Shoot for what you need and what you desire. I have an URSA Mini 4k and I'm stoked with it, I use it for 90% outside shooting and I use it mostly for sports, Global Shutter is king, in every aspect, it makes me wish I'd never shot any of my work with a rolling shutter. The people (like me) who have had very fortunate results with this camera, don't have time to write reviews as we're too busy actually shooting.

The main drawing card with this camera for me is Global Shutter, I really wish the 4.6k and Micro had GS like they promised, I would've gone for that in a heart beat. Hopefully it'll happen in time.

Quote Originally Posted by giangwow View Post
    @Asyndeton: I assume that you are a UM4K owner? Have you experienced any unexpected problems with the camera on set(any)? I know it's a cinema camera but have you used it for something like wedding or live events?
    Check out Darren's website. He has a pretty comprehensive write-up about use of the UM4K on a feature.

Have you experienced any unexpected problems with the camera on set(any)? I know it's a cinema camera but have you used it for something like wedding or live events?
    We all know and it's been said over-and-over how it's not a low-light camera, but I used one for a low-light event and was able to get decent shots with a f/1.4 lens and a shutter of 360 @400...but then I shot the same event (in the same location with the same lighting) with a 1DX Mark II, which I was using @6400-10000, and it was like a different event.

The high ISOs in the modern DSLRs (or other cinema cameras) is just so convenient for that type of run-and-gun, no lighting available type shoots.

@Liam. Thanks for your reply. Im almost certain that I will get the UM4K in the future now. Probably will try to get my hands on it first though.
    @Glornis. Thank you Tim for pointing that out. I didn't know about his blog.
    @NorBro. If so I guess it's not that bad. However, this is just an additional question. I won't count towards my decision. I will not use it for event type of shots regularly.

@Asyndeton: I assume that you are a UM4K owner? Have you experienced any unexpected problems with the camera on set(any)? I know it's a cinema camera but have you used it for something like wedding or live events?
    Yeah, I've shot a feature with it and a few events. I've had to recover data from a card twice but I haven't been able to replicate the problem or determine if it was a card or camera error. I've had CF cards go corrupt on me in DSLRs and become unusable after so it wasn't the worse thing ever. Also had a hick up where the camera froze and I had to pull the battery to power cycle it. Happened once, figured it was a freak occurrence, but also something that has happened to me with other cameras before. The 4.0 public beta 2 has been super solid but I haven't been shooting a lot the past few weeks to encountered bugs, I think that 4.0 is another good reason to go with the UM because it's such a huge improvement for usability and QOL.

I've done a wedding that was outside, performed very well then. I also shoot music in venues with pretty poor lighting sometimes. When I'm starved for light and have to go to 800 iso is when the noise becomes pretty bad, but noise reduction and compression for final delivery can hide quite a bit of it.

I'd buy one today if it used anything but CFast. I just can't afford to dump $2K into media.

You can check Tom Antos's SSD mod which will cost you about 100$ for one SSD bracket. Using SSDs like Samsung 850 EVO or Sandisk Extreme II, it can record 4.6K@60p RAW no problem.

I have 3. They work great. Best camera I've ever owned. I've been to busy using and trying to get people interested in using them to post much. Having owned a BMPC since the beginning I know exactly how to use the sensor and the other stuff attached makes it a real sweet camera for a variety of productions.