Thread: OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    IR pollution + real life aliasing test:

Last edited by shijan; 09-18-2017 at 05:57 PM.

wow, the difference is pretty darn dramatic

And RAW vs ProRes test. Not so bad even without OLPF filter... Expose and WB was adjusted to match all images.

Hi guys,

I'm debating between the Rawlite or the Mosaic v2 OLPF for BMMCC.

On paper they seem to be really similar, but I'd like to know which one is really better? Sharpness? Moire reduction?

Also, which one is easier to install with the BMMCC + 0.58x Metabones Speedbooster? I would use the Blackmagic solely with EF-lenses, no micro 4/3 lenses.
    Mosaic's website says that BMMCC with Speedbooster, a shim kit install is a MUST HAVE. And that modification looks rather frightening at first.
    Rawlite doesn't say a word about installing any other things for Speedbooster, but it may need also modification.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sebipayne View Post
    Hi guys,

On paper they seem to be really similar, but I'd like to know which one is really better? Sharpness? Moire reduction?

Also, which one is easier to install with the BMMCC + 0.58x Metabones Speedbooster? I would use the Blackmagic solely with EF-lenses, no micro 4/3 lenses.
    Mosaic's website says that BMMCC with Speedbooster, a shim kit install is a MUST HAVE. And that modification looks rather frightening at first.
    Rawlite doesn't say a word about installing any other things for Speedbooster, but it may need also modification.

Thanks!
    Well following cautionary advice like using a piece of medical glove for extra grip I had a relatively easy time installing the Mosaic v2. All the things you need are given to you and as for using shims it's best if you do that for both olpf whether you have a speed booster or not since it corrects any focus issues. You have to use it on the Mosaic because where it clips in there isn't physically enough room to fit the rear of the speed booster unless it's shimmed, so you would cause damage.

The big thing for me was not having to remove the oring and expose the sensor to dust or anything else. So it was a no brainier, I'd much rather shim the mft than that.

As for sharpness, it does lose some there's no doubt, sharpening post gets some back but mainly if your looking for tact sharp you'd need to start with getting glass that's know to be sharp like sigmas art range. But for the moment I'm happy with what I can get out of my cheaper lenses until I can afford a sigma 18-35 or some primes.

For it's moire reduction it's doing well, it is still there slightly in the harshest of conditions but you really have to search for it.

IR cut works well with a slight shift toward green when not under it conditions and nd but easy enough to correct.

The only thing of note is that I do have one shot that was through a car window where a rainbow reflection was on the image but I think it may have been the angle of light onto the tiffen variable nd and the fact that it was a 10mm speed boosted lens, I'm still looking into that one. Edit - it seems like this is indeed a common side effect of variable nds polarising filters -
    Last edited by Ryanite; 10-04-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Hi guys,

Thanks!
    As i wrote earlier - The main current problem with Rawlite filter is supplied shims. From developer reply it uses same shims design as Mosaic v1, just four simple washers. This makes lens mount weak and may leak dust under the hood.
    Also Mosaic v2 is way simpler and easier to install.

You can also check this thread for more feedback about Mosaic v2 filter in more compact article http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20918

Thanks!

Well, so far I have a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 (stabilised) for general usage and a Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4 for really low light. The latter should be sharp enough for any occasions imo, although it needs a tripod or some gimbal.

The dust can be an issue during installing the filter. I have to think about it how to avoid it. Vacuum cleaner?

Thanks!
    The dust can be an issue during installing the filter. I have to think about it how to avoid it. Vacuum cleaner?
    It is nice to have a special Hepa Filtered Cleanroom or DIY box add-on on the table but you can do things in home conditions. Just clear your room with vacuum cleaner, wet dry floor and table and wait 30 min. till all dust will come down from the air.
    Clear camera body outside with large brush to remove large dust particles.
    Work in Nitrile medical gloves to avoid particles from the skin.
    Use photo air blower.
    Last edited by shijan; 10-04-2017 at 05:53 PM.

#111 - just seeing this...that is a tremendous difference indeed.

Thanks!

Well, so far I have a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 (stabilised) for general usage and a Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4 for really low light. The latter should be sharp enough for any occasions imo, although it needs a tripod or some gimbal.

Never use a vacuum directly on any electronics though, use a soft brush like shijan said. Using a vacuum will create static which can damage any electronics. You can blow air with a blower also. But the Mosaic install avoids most potential dangers.