Thread: new Sigma lenses announced! (including 85mm ART)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'd pay $3999 for the bundle, ha. It will be difficult to spend that money when you know the stills options are basically the same and so good already.

Not sure the desire for manual gears is worth $3000 more per lens when the optics haven't been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
    So the zooms (18-35 & 50-100) are going for $3999 each. Released December 9th.
    Jesus.

just as I thought, $3999 it's going to be interesting how many of these will go off the shelves. Isn't the GL optics about the same price? I'm sure they will low their cost to compete with this announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
    So the zooms (18-35 & 50-100) are going for $3999 each. Released December 9th.
    That's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by mjamerson View Post
    just as I thought, $3999 it's going to be interesting how many of these will go off the shelves. Isn't the GL optics about the same price? I'm sure they will low their cost to compete with this announcement.
    For the GL Optics 18-35:
    "3500 USD for 120 degrees focus rotation and 4350 USD for 300 degrees focus rotation"

And for the GL Optics 50-100:
    "FOB Price: 3850 USD for 120 degrees focus rotation and 4850 USD for 260 degrees focus rotation"
    Aaron Lochert

One long thread about absurdity...

Yeah. The Sigmas are fine lenses - I own a couple. But unless they're just testing the waters, I just don't see these as moving in any significant numbers at these prices.

Now if they could make their 'nearly' parfocal zooms into truly parfocal zooms then THAT would be a different story.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post

Yeah. The Sigmas are fine lenses - I own a couple. But unless they're just testing the waters, I just don't see these as moving in any significant numbers at these prices.

Now if they could make their 'nearly' parfocal zooms into truly parfocal zooms then THAT would be a different story.
    Many zooms are *designed* to be parfocal, and only fail to be because of variations in focal length of the zoom groups. So, you tend to wind up with a random build-error situation where some lenses are really close to parfocal and others are noticeably off. To correct the problem you might tighten tolerances, do some fancy sorting, introduce a first-order compensator on one or more of the groups, or re-machine the compensator group cam after measuring the
    finished lens. I'm familar with the compensator approach for inexpensive consumer lenses, and it works really well. I think this approach is also used by Zeiss in their CZ.2 zooms. In some cases the compensator can be as simple as a mount shim, but in other cases it involves moving lens elements around. I'm also familiar with the cam re-machining approach (its what Panavision has done for years), which is incredibly tedious and expensive and likely not something you'll ever see on a lens only costing $4k. If I had to guess, I would say that Sigma could use a combination of sorting and compensator tweaking to improve parfocality on their cine zooms.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post

Many zooms are *designed* to be parfocal, and only fail to be because of variations in focal length of the zoom groups. So, you tend to wind up with a random build-error situation where some lenses are really close to parfocal and others are noticeably off. To correct the problem you might tighten tolerances, do some fancy sorting, introduce a first-order compensator on one or more of the groups, or re-machine the compensator group cam after measuring the
    finished lens. I'm familar with the compensator approach for inexpensive consumer lenses, and it works really well. I think this approach is also used by Zeiss in their CZ.2 zooms. In some cases the compensator can be as simple as a mount shim, but in other cases it involves moving lens elements around. I'm also familiar with the cam re-machining approach (its what Panavision has done for years), which is incredibly tedious and expensive and likely not something you'll ever see on a lens only costing $4k. If I had to guess, I would say that Sigma could use a combination of sorting and compensator tweaking to improve parfocality on their cine zooms.

Had the chance to check them out today at the Photoplus expo in ny, apart from some restrictive design choices, omissions, etc, they actually felt really nice mechanically (as opposed to the GL Optics), I think a bit better than my Canon CN-Es, and I liked their compact size. I agree that the price is a bit over what it should be, under $3000 they would be much more interesting.
    Last edited by jpblack; 10-21-2016 at 12:53 AM.

My 18-35 is parfocal. Even had a member here attacking me because his was not I guess some are not parfocal so rather than being force to do a recall Sigma simply say parfocal was not intentional. So does that means those with parfocal zooms have faulty lens and should send them back to Sigma? Doubt it.