Thread: Is Micro Cinema a better Pocket?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Is Micro Cinema a better Pocket? 
    In my dreams, the Micro Cinema + Video Assist would be a effective replacement for the "old" Pocket and even for a BMCC, due to SD vs SDD advantages. But since its release, I am not seeing a lot of love for Micro.

Some questions, as long as I own a Pocket but not a Micro:

1. Do we have any good image comparisons for Micro Cinema vs Pocket?
    2. Is Micro superior in terms of moiré and aliasing? (Mosaic OLPF seams not to fit well!)
    3. Does FPN affects every Micro? Is so, how bad is FPN on Micro?

I would love to love Micro as I love my Pocket...

There is nothing about the Micro I personally would consider a step backward -- but everyone's needs are going to be different. The only marginal issue is with very light FPN in the shadows which I have made a very simple fix for in post. So even that is not an issue for me. There are small improvements in moire and noticeably less noise, slightly better color in my opinion (but it's easy to get the Pocket to match). I love the "micro brain" form factor so i can use the monitor of my choosing and benefit from longer battery life. For me, 60p and RAW 3:1 are some of the most welcomed new features.

I own a Pocket too and am thinking of selling it for a second Micro. Many prefer the Pocket's design for going incognito and I may keep mine for that application.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 05-01-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

I ain't got nothing but love for the Micro. Most fun camera I have owned in awhile. better battery & 60fps are the big draw over the pocket - I'm with Zak on preferring the micro brain form factor over the pocket...way easier to rig.

Don't get me wrong, I still like and use my BMPCC, but Lord, do I love my BMMCC.

Guys you're making it hard for me to save money, lol. I keep buying lights with the money I earn from gigs and bypass the BMMCC because I own a Pocket. I may skip another LS1 and V-Lock and stand this time for a BMMCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    There is nothing about the Micro I personally would consider a step backward -- but everyone's needs are going to be different. The only marginal issue is with very light FPN in the shadows which I have made a very simple fix for in post. So even that is not an issue for me. There are small improvements in moire and noticeably less noise, slightly better color in my opinion (but it's easy to get the Pocket to match). I love the "micro brain" form factor so i can use the monitor of my choosing and benefit from longer battery life. For me, 60p and RAW 3:1 are some of the most welcomed new features.

I own a Pocket too and am thinking of selling it for a second Micro. Many prefer the Pocket's design for going incognito and I may keep mine for that application.
    I just sold my Pocket for a Micro + VA combo, which should be arriving during the week. I'm excited!

I have no idea how to use Resolve yet. At best, I can do basic color correcting, but I generally only tweak through FilmConvert's built in tools.
    Is it possible to do a similar fix using the tools in Premiere? If not, this may be a good time to finally learn Resolve.

It's interesting, I expected to see a rush of material on Vimeo from new owners of the Micro, but there are shockingly few. I'm guessing that the Micro is not seeing the popularity of the Pocket, at least by consumer or prosumer level folks because it has no screen. I also think that loss of the global shutter feature has removed a huge reason to buy for a lot of people.

I myself have been itching to give BM my money for an improved Pocket-type cam, but just having 60p is not nearly enough to spend the approximately $1700 it would take to get a working Micro ($1,000 for the "brain", $500 for Video Assist, $200+ for a rig to put it together).

That money's waiting to be spent, Blackmagic, gimme a reason!

P.S. If they figure out a firmware upgrade to global shutter, I think you'll see them flying off the shelves like the Pocket did/does.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I just sold my Pocket for a Micro + VA combo, which should be arriving during the week. I'm excited!

I have no idea how to use Resolve yet. At best, I can do basic color correcting, but I generally only tweak through FilmConvert's built in tools.
    Is it possible to do a similar fix using the tools in Premiere? If not, this may be a good time to finally learn Resolve.
    Have you ever added grain to a project by stacking the grain clip above your video and changing its blending mode to "overlay"? very similar process only you're using an inversion of your camera's unique FPN instead of grain. You dont need Resolve to do it. You *would* need something like Neat Video to do some temporal noise reduction when creating that inverted FPN overlay. But everything else should be doable in any NLE.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 05-02-2016 at 12:01 AM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.

I own both and haven't used the Pocket since I open the box for the Micro. I agree with Zak that there may be some use down the road as an inconspicuous cam, but if I'm going out for a shoot, it will be the Micro that goes with me.
    Tyler Jordan
    http://www.theartoftylerjordan.com

Photographer - DP - Studio Manager

Okay, so the Micro ousts the Pocket if you're rigging it up. Is it worth the upgrade if you already own the Pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRenaissanceMan View Post
    Okay, so the Micro ousts the Pocket if you're rigging it up. Is it worth the upgrade if you already own the Pocket?
    I didn't mean to imply by referring to it as a "micro brain" that it requires a rig any more than the Pocket does. It just requires a small external monitor (that you could stick right on top with a ballhead mount). That external monitor is the only thing that keeps you from looking like a tourist with a point and shoot if you're trying to fly under the radar.

I'd say the Micro beats the Pocket whether you rig them up or not.