Thread: Switching things up, need your thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Switching things up, need your thoughts 
    So...

I'm thinking of switching things up. For the last 2 years, I've been shooting with these lenses(all SPEED-BOOSTED, except Panny):

Panny 14mm 2.5
    Sigma 18-35mm 1.8
    Nikkor 50mm 1.2
    Nikkor 85mm 2.0

A recent trip to NY meant I had to stop at b&h just to "browse", and I ended up playing with the Panny 12-35 which has IS and the 20 1.7. Ended up getting the Panny 20mm 1.7 as it was on sale. Love this lens. From the size (similar to 14mm) to the fast 1.7 aperture, it was a dream to use. Great depth of field and also light weight. The only other lens I had with me was the 14mm, and I found both of these lenses were sufficient for my needs during the trip. So now I'm thinking of selling all my lenses (and speed booster) and going full native MFT. I love the CINE primes from SLR Magic, but I don't and never will use a follow focus or "rig" and I like the stealth factor you get with a more compact setup. So this is the lineup I'm considering:

Olympus Zuiko 12mm 2.0(will replace 14mm)
    Panny 20mm 1.7
    Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm OIS (love that this lens is stabilized)

Before pulling the trigger and throwing all my current glass up for sale(and speedbooster) I wanted to collect a few thoughts. Also, couldn't find anyone with direct experience with the Panny Leica 42.5 and the pocket.

So what do you guys think?

Hi, my mft lens kit is Oly 9-18, panny 15mm, 25mm, oly 45mm, I sold the 42,5mm Nocticron because rhe OIS is barely useable and the manual focus is tricky, you can try the Panny 42,5mm 1.7 that seems to have a better OIS for video (less stuttering).

Quote Originally Posted by Max Minoia View Post
    Hi, my mft lens kit is Oly 9-18, panny 15mm, 25mm, oly 45mm, I sold the 42,5mm Nocticron because rhe OIS is barely useable and the manual focus is tricky, you can try the Panny 42,5mm 1.7 that seems to have a better OIS for video (less stuttering).
    Interesting. I planned on renting both (panny 1.7 and 1.2)before buying. I would love to save $1,000 and go with the 1.7 instead of the 1.2.

Take what I say with a grain of salt since I know that you REALLY know what you're doing and have a great eye, having seen your footage posted here:

I have the 14mm and when I compared side by side with the sigma on the pocket, they were worlds apart. Of course, that could just be my 14mm copy, but while it's ok for travel portability, the image is just nowhere near as nice for creative work.

I do like the legendary 20mm much more. The olympus 12mm is a great lens, built well, and tiny.

Definitely go with the 1.7 portrait lens over the 1.2. The nocticron is awesome, but the gains are not worth it over the 1.7, especially for video.

Will you have a different setup for your creative projects, beyond just travel, etc? I'm just picturing pulling focus by hand with the 14mm. Just not nearly as savory as a real manual lens, even without a follow focus.

The 12-35mm of course is a great combo because it offers so many perks in one package ( stabilized, wide, constant aperture, sharp, etc).

O

Taking a Vacation
    That Panny 20mm is a fantastic lens. I had the old model and could barely see an improvement worth the price of the V2.

As stated, I'd watch the Panny OIS on the Pocket. I've had 4 of the 12-35 and hated all the OIS. Made me sick to my stomach to shoot with. Plus you need to remember, with all Panny glass, the Panny camera is doing in body lens correction on the wide end. Some can be ok with it, some can't.

Quote Originally Posted by _OZ View Post

I do like the legendary 20mm much more. The olympus 12mm is a great lens, built well, and tiny.
    Thanks for the compliment. Agreed I'm really liking the 20 1.7, so it's definitely a keeper. The 14mm is getting replaced by the 12mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by _OZ View Post

Definitely go with the 1.7 portrait lens over the 1.2. The nocticron is awesome, but the gains are not worth it over the 1.7, especially for video.
    I've been doing research and I found this to be absolutely true. Test footage I saw showed the 1.2 to be slightly jittery even with OIS enabled. Definitely going with the 1.7.

I hate having lenses that overlap but I think I"m keeping the sigma and Nikkors but having the Panasonics as my mobile set.

I wouldn't do that, and I'll tell you why.

I HAVE that Panny 20mm f/1.7 and while it's good, it doesn't blow me away. The only thing it wins at it being tiny and super light weight. And since you can't speedboost it the focal length is hardly wide anymore.
    With the autofocus and size it is a KILLER for "stealing" shots - this I totally agree with.

I also have the Panny 14-140mm OIS lens - it's convenient but it's a dog. The OIS is "weird" too like Vic mentioned.

And I have the SLR Magic 12mm f/1.2 - this lens is interesting but it really changes it's look at wide apertures. Like a lot. Now that's part of why people use it - because the SLR Magic "Magic" really kicks in there, but the powerful "look" doesn't match many other lenses. So unless you're going to buy several of them it can be an issue.

I also have the Sigma 18-35mm. And a bunch of Nikkors and Samyangs at lots of different lengths. They all match each other fairly well.

To me, the Pocket without a Speedbooster is for outdoor daylight only.
    After shooting that Sigma 18-35mm Speedboosted, trust me....you're spoiled! That lens just WORKS. But yeah...it's a big heavy bazooka. I get that.

So yeah, I have both. And with the exception of the Panny 20mm I really never use MFT lenses. Too many drawbacks on the BMPCC/BMCC and no positives that are unique to them as a mount format.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I too own the Panny 1.7

I in fact own most of the native MFT lenses out there :-)

I love the format. I think it's very underrated and as I mentioned elsewhere has other advantages like telecentric lens design. If you're following the Magenta issue with the ursa mini then you may have seen the phase telecentric come up....Here's a great animation explaining it. Scroll down to the third FAQ http://www.four-thirds.org/en/specia...it/merit2.html

I LOVE the 12mm Olympus. It's a beast and not only that, it has a hard stop manual focus action. Also the 17mm 1.7 Oly is great and I use it more than the Panny 20mm now.

However....Depending on your time frame...there are some more interesting NATIVE MFT lenses I think you'll like coming though. But they won't be announced till Photokina in September. And shipping maybe early next year. Depending on your time frame I guess.....

If you need something for nows then yes your choices look good too. I'm a closet MFT fan...Don't forget too the SLR magics are quite nice value and the Veydras are also pretty sweet.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I too own the Panny 1.7

I in fact own most of the native MFT lenses out there :-)

I love the format. I think it's very underrated and as I mentioned elsewhere has other advantages like telecentric lens design. If you're following the Magenta issue with the ursa mini then you may have seen the phase telecentric come up....Here's a great animation explaining it. Scroll down to the third FAQ http://www.four-thirds.org/en/specia...it/merit2.html

I LOVE the 12mm Olympus. It's a beast and not only that, it has a hard stop manual focus action. Also the 17mm 1.7 Oly is great and I use it more than the Panny 20mm now.

However....Depending on your time frame...there are some more interesting NATIVE MFT lenses I think you'll like coming though. But they won't be announced till Photokina in September. And shipping maybe early next year. Depending on your time frame I guess.....

If you need something for nows then yes your choices look good too. I'm a closet MFT fan...Don't forget too the SLR magics are quite nice value and the Veydras are also pretty sweet.

JB
    Just the man I was waiting to hear from. I read your post on shooting with olympus lenses and you mention being a big fan of the 12mm.

Then I saw this video which pushed me over the edge:

https://vimeo.com/109244789

I keep hearing panasonic is going to announce some new lenses, so your advice is sound. I love slr magic, and I even owned the 12mm for a while. But I've decided to pick up the Olympus 12mm.

You can't go wrong with the Oly 12mm.

It's great.

There is other cool stuff coming but I can't say more :-)

JB