Thread: Feiyu Tech MG gimbal for BMPCC

1. #1 Feiyu Tech MG gimbal for BMPCC 
    Recently there has been some discussion on this forum regarding suitable gimbals for the pocket camera. Suggestions are the Pilot Fly, Came TV single, Beholder and Nebula 4000 Lite.

The current second generation gimbals now have 32 bit encoders that provide more stable calibration and energy efficiency. Of these the Came TV Single was the first and now there is a second - the Feiyu Tech MG.

The MG was designed primarily for users of DSLR style cameras or a mount for handicams. It has a maximum weight tolerance of 1.2kg.

I recently purchased the MG over the Came TV model as it was about $400 cheaper and offered more flexibility in mounting arrangements and having used it now for some weeks I thought I would pass on my observations for those of you who may be considering this option.

In a nutshell, the BMPCC will work with this gimbal only of the weight of the camera and lens fall within narrow limits. I have tested it with my range of 5 panasonic lenses and only 1 proved to be a good match - the 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 due to its light weight. Others tried were the 7-14 f4.0, 12-35 f2.8, 25mm f1.4 and 35-100 f2.8.

The main issue seems to be the power settings of the gimbal motors. The MG has 3 default power settings (low, medium and high) that allow you to try and match the weight of the camera/lens combination to the gimbal. If the match is not compatible then you will feel and hear a strong buzzing come from the motors.

My obersavation is that the default power settings are generally too strong for the weight of the pocket camera and although the is software available from the supplier to modify the power settings I do not current ly own a PC running Windows 10 in order to use the software. The company does not provide Mac compatible software. The Pocket camera needs a default setting that lies somewhere between "low" and "medium" to avoid the buzzing noise when using slightly heavier lenses than 110gms.

I also had a problem balancing the gimbal in the horizontal plane using the 12-35mm lens which has a weight of 380gms due to there being insufficient lateral allowance on the mounting plate. This was due to the body of the camera being lighter than the lens. If the lens weighs the same or less that the camera body then this won't be a problem.

So if anyone is considering spending around $1000 for this gimbal then be aware of these issues.

2. #2 Any others users out there 
    Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this gimbal.