Thread: Gaging interest in BMMCC HANDLE/CONTROLLER i.e., Super LANC

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Gaging interest in BMMCC HANDLE/CONTROLLER i.e., Super LANC 
    Been using the BMMCC a little. Testing for moiré, the higher frame rate, and just working with the image of a new camera a bit.

One of my initial thoughts is exactly what John Brawley's been saying. This camera was not designed as a primary shooting camera.

In my case with the Wooden Camera cage it's very difficult to reach the start stop button. I mean really difficult. Lot's of fumbling around trying to get your finger under the cage. Then if you want to change something in the menu you have to move around to side/front of the camera and so far I fumbling a lot.

Really liking the images the camera is making though. My tests are not scientific tests with resolution charts but real world tests. So far I'm seeing much improved sharpness, and less noise compared to my BMCC and BMPCC footage. Juries still out on moiré.

I've been planning on getting both the Ursa Mini 4.6 and the BMMCC. I had been thinking about using the smaller camera as a B Cam in multi-cam shoots as well as the primary camera for use with stabilizers, etc. I also like the idea of an ultra light camera that you can grab and go with that's easy and am hoping this to be a solution for that.

With that in mind I'm thinking about some wort of "SUPER LANC" that will controll many of the functions of the camera. Start/Stop for sure, frame-rate, ISO, white balance, shutter angle, and aperture when using EF glass. All of these built into a handle that attaches to a 15mm rail system?

Would any of you be interested in such a device? Gaging interest prior to NAB. Though I must say that I could see BM coming out with another camera that solves this. Or maybe a handle of their own that works with both the 4K version as well.

Let us know what you think.

Marshall, welcome to club "this camera needs a handle with buttons"

Yes. Want it. But wait until after NAB announcements to commit to doing it. Controller could be announced or a BM camera that does not need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
    Yes. Want it. But wait until after NAB announcements to commit to doing it. Controller could be announced or a BM camera that does not need it.
    Agree. Maybe another camera coming. Talked this over with Ilya at Hot Rod Cameras who always has good ideas. Just looking to see if there's any interest.

I think a handle of some sort would really open the camera up beyond just creating a rig. Especially since this cam will likely be setup in weird corners and nooks and such. A Handle that allowed for control of the menu and start/stop is obvious, but something that can power the cam and maybe send out an analog video signal would make it really worth it.

Yeah, I hope BM is listening and come out with something like this at NAB. Could be pretty handy (no pun intended XD).
    If it's not them, I'm pretty sure other companies will do it.

while i don't have a hard time using the buttons on camera, i would like a cable that runs from the expansion port that would enable the BM video Assist to control all of the menu functions.