Thread: THIS is why I love Lightworks!

1. #1 THIS is why I love Lightworks! 
    I've been using a Contour Shuttlepro V2 with Lightworks for about a year along with the keyboard.
    Lightworks just released custom drivers for it with V12.6 in partnership with Contour. They are offering a branded version as a low cost alternative to their expensive pro console. The new drivers duplicate much of the functionality of the pro version for 5% of the price.

Does Contour provide maps for Da Vinci Resolve 12 and Premier Pro with this product?

Razz, why would you use Lightworks when you can get Resolve for free? The last time I checked it out it did not support CinemaDNG compress (BMPCC Raw). I had to covert it to cineform or DNxHD using another software. Maybe they do now... But so does free Resolve. The only other reason why I would see Lightworks advantageous is if I am using it on an underpowered laptop.

I had one of those controllers. Never use it anymore.

you're still going to have to reach for your keyboard on a regular basis.
    You're still going to have to have a hand on your mouse for many things.
    This controller did not make anything faster for me in the long run. With the hand switching back and forth - it really wasn't more convenient or intuitive in the long run either.

Recently I got something CHEAP that DID make a big difference - I got a 12-button programmable gaming mouse for $35.
    BOOM! This this is NICE! My 12 most common keyboard hot keys are now under my thumb on the mouse.
    HUGE difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Redragon-PERDI...CSZRFJZHP825YM
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I bought one of these when I switched to Avid. I found it really helped me out and I rarely have to reach for the keyboard once I've linked to and renamed my files. I find the jog wheels super handy and I didn't have to learn any new keyboard shortcuts. On the flip side, I did have to "learn" my button layout, even though I created it as one that made sense to me. But, when I needed to do something, I had a much smaller space to look at than if I had a Avid keyboard. The other advantage now that I can edit without hardly moving my hand is that if I do jump back to Premiere or Vegas, everything is right there and doesn't change.
    I can see where a gaming mouse would be useful too, but I like having my buttons with label/pictures and I use the jog wheels a lot

I would buy this instead but it will be nicer if there's one that has a jog wheel too.

Resolve to me is very clunky inefficient editor for cutting docs. Audio seems to be particularly problematic Same with Premiere, never liked it. Avid was decent when I used it in rental suites it a couple of decades ago. But my early career was 16mm for TV production, industrials and commercials in an era when a portable camera recorder rig weighed in around 70lbs. I cut on Moviolas and Steenbecks. Lightworks is as old as Avid and the workflow was designed by film editors specifically for doing feature film DI.
    For me the paradigm just clicked in way that no other NLE ever has. I like the ability to lay out screen workspace any way I want to. I like the clips, subclips, bins, racks (now groups) film style media organization paradigm. It is easy to sync and lock double system sound, which works great for DNG raw footage where the sound track is a separate file. If you throw something out of sync with an edit, Lightworks shows which tracks are out in which direction and by how many frames. Sync drift on long takes can be corrected with a simple cut and paste sound track to match video clip length. It handles frame sequence formats like DPX or CDNG flawlessly.
    I tried the first V10 Beta release three years ago, left Premiere and haven't looked back.
    That said, all of these NLE's will get the job done and people should go with whatever works best for them. Lightworks has a fully functional free version that only limits export options to 720p YouTube or up to 1080p Vimeo H.264/MP4. Worth giving a try if you are looking for something different.

Thank you razz.
    Last edited by JOSOCAcreative; 04-10-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Hi Jo,

I'm running an entry level Resolve grade Win7 PC. i74770K, 16GB ram, 2GB Nvidia GTX760, Asrock Extreme 4 TB4 motherboard with Thunderbolt 1 ports. I use a hot swap e-sata 3.5" drive bay and 2TB WD RED NAS drives for media offload and backup. Need to add a Raid work space array to keep up with data transfer rates for 2k format CDNG. It runs CDNG native at 24fps full speed in Resolve and in Lightworks for one stream cuts only editing from a single drive. Need the raid or SSD for multiple streams and FX work. Lightworks is very stable on my system working with high quality i-frame DI grade video codecs like Prores, DNXHD, or Cineform. It has a fairly decent set of built in FX and user FX downloadable from the forum. Limited plugin support at present, but they are working on it. It does accept 3d LUTS in common formats, though some don't play well. There was an issue with .cube luts from Resolve but it looks like that has been fixed in 12.6. They can be applied as a monitor viewing lut with no affect on exported footage or as and FX lut applied to clips. This is an image graded entirely in Lightworks using a S-curve for Cinestyle lut. You can roundtrip with Resolve pretty well with AAF or XML log exports.

Hi Razz, some workflow questions... Do you ingest media into Resolve or Lightworks? I found Resolve media manager and clone tool useful hereas I dont know if there is any similar function in Lightworks other than defining a media pool. Next export AAF... or do you create a timeline first (in Resolve or Lightworks) then export to do the editing in Lightworks? Do you finish/deliver in Resolve or stay in Lightworks? How are titles, transitions and effects handled on the return to Resolve? just wondering, thanks.