Thread: If I can only have 1 lens (choice of two inside)

1. #1 If I can only have 1 lens (choice of two inside) 
    I have a BMPCC. At the moment I only have enough in my budget for one fairly inexpensive lens. I have offers of this panasonic 14mm for $130 or this olympus 14-42 for $140. I will mostly be doing documentary style shooting with some shots on the run (chasing dogs and such). I'm fairly amateur with cameras and lenses so whatever will be the easiest to focus as im chasing dogs would be great. Thanks!
    Last edited by tehrealbdeal; 01-17-2016 at 10:57 AM.

The zoom might allow you briefly to chase the dogs by zooming while you stand still to adjust focus manually. That would mean you're on a tripod if you are the sole operator. Running after dogs is very challenging. I should know!

The 14mm is a faster lens, and the wide angle will make keeping subject in focus easier. Mi would go for the 14 over the zoom. You can also handhold the 14mm for short takes.

If you know that you'll be shooting outside under decent light I'd go with the zoom. Even with nd you'll be at a healthy 5.6 on a day exterior. 14mm is the wide end of the zoom so matches the prime in that regard. I have the 14-42 and is a nice little lens on olympus cameras with decent AF. On the pocket the manual focus is smooth even though it is electronic. On thing to note is that as a variable aperture lens it will not maintain constant aperture while zooming. Even if you set the max aperture of 5.6 at the wide end it will stop down a stop or more at the long end. I think my Olympus pen compensates while zooming but the pocket does not.

If you're only getting one lens - best to make it a zoom with some reach! Right?

I suggest this 25mm-250mm Angenieux. That will cover what you need.

Oh, it's $43,000.00
    Is that out of your price range?

Angenieux Zoom.jpg

Just tryin' to lighten the mood around here!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

That's pretty much what I've lost in the stock market in the last year. I'd really rather have bought the lens than just have money evaporate! So it doesn't seem that costly to me from that perspective. Hindsight: perfect vision.

Know how you feel Rick, I lost a major chunk of $ when the 911 crash occurred. The Angie zoom is great! My first choice too.
    Cheers

The Olympus 14-42 zoom does not have OIS so running with dogs will get you bad shaky shots. I can't tell if the 14mm has OIS, and if so will be the better choice for the work you're speaking of. If you only can have one lens, get the zoom but not the Oly, look for the Panasonic 14-42 zoom with OIS. This will be the same as the Oly but it has image stabilization. You should be able to find one almost the same price as the Olympus.