Thread: Macbook Pro and PC Desktop Advice

1. #1 Macbook Pro and PC Desktop Advice 
    Hi Guys,

I do most of my work on a fairly decent desktop PC. I am looking for a new laptop to replace an aging lenovo. I am looking at possibly getting a Macbook Pro for doing editing while on the road traveling. The main reason for doing this as I find most new windows laptops feel incredibly cheap, and I am also a bit curious to see how I end up liking a Mac as I have mainly used PC's.

- are there any issues opening up a Premiere project in Windows that was created on a Mac, or vice versa?
    - what are issues in dealing with external hard drives? What should I be formatting the hard drives as to be the most versatile? Or, should I be using certain software on the Mac to properly use NTFS drives?
    - OR, is getting a Macbook Pro a waste of time, and just get a good windows laptop instead?

Thanks in advance!

If you're looking for a good Windows laptop, there are definitely options. The new Dell XPS 15 would be at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    If you're looking for a good Windows laptop, there are definitely options. The new Dell XPS 15 would be at the top of my list.
    Thanks. You know I was actually just looking at that one. Do you own it?

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
    Hi Guys,

I do most of my work on a fairly decent desktop PC. I am looking for a new laptop to replace an aging lenovo. I am looking at possibly getting a Macbook Pro for doing editing while on the road traveling. The main reason for doing this as I find most new windows laptops feel incredibly cheap, and I am also a bit curious to see how I end up liking a Mac as I have mainly used PC's.

- are there any issues opening up a Premiere project in Windows that was created on a Mac, or vice versa?
    - what are issues in dealing with external hard drives? What should I be formatting the hard drives as to be the most versatile? Or, should I be using certain software on the Mac to properly use NTFS drives?
    - OR, is getting a Macbook Pro a waste of time, and just get a good windows laptop instead?

Thanks in advance!
    1. No issues opening Premiere projects on a different platform. It should work without issue as long as you tell it which hard drive to look in for the footage.
    2. exFAT works cross platform and doesn't show a huge loss in performance on either OS. However, if you choose to go with either HFS or NTFS, I recommend MacDrive Pro 10 for Windows and Tuxera NTFS for OS X. I use both and they work extremely well.
    3. It depends on personal preference. I'd go with a Windows laptop just because of the recent El Capitan problems and Windows 10 has been reliable for me thus far and I've been using it since the tech preview.
    Eddie Barton

My blog where I write about math stuff related to video: https://iaremrsir.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by iaremrsir View Post
    1. No issues opening Premiere projects on a different platform. It should work without issue as long as you tell it which hard drive to look in for the footage.
    2. exFAT works cross platform and doesn't show a huge loss in performance on either OS. However, if you choose to go with either HFS or NTFS, I recommend MacDrive Pro 10 for Windows and Tuxera NTFS for OS X. I use both and they work extremely well.
    3. It depends on personal preference. I'd go with a Windows laptop just because of the recent El Capitan problems and Windows 10 has been reliable for me thus far and I've been using it since the tech preview.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I am starting to lean towards just getting a windows laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt View Post
    Thanks. You know I was actually just looking at that one. Do you own it?
    Nope. I wish! Beautiful screen, though. They have a 13" version if you want something smaller.

I'm still spending crazy money on video equipment. I received just today the last pieces for my video workstation (desktop) rig, and still have a few grand more to go on my video equipment (mainly lighting). We'll see what's out there laptop-wise when I'm ready to get one (probably late spring or summer). I don't need a laptop for any kind of video editing, so I may just get something super-cheap on Black Friday/Cyber Monday to handle email & web surfing while traveling. When I'm doing video work, I want a big screen, and even a 17" laptop screen would be incredibly limiting.