Thread: BMPCC/BMMCC Run n Gun Recommendations

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Has anyone used one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    Has anyone used one of these?

Used it? No.
    But my wife attacked me with something that looked like that once when I pissed her off...

I have a bunch of that Neewar stuff and I think it's great. I use it like tinker-toys to build whatever kind of rig I need at the time. I have those handles, a bunch on their rods, a couple of rails-base-plates, and lots of little connecting pieces.
    It's solid, it's light, the paint doesn't scrape off - I think it's anodized, and it survives me throwing the rigs and parts around really without a mark. Certain good cages and certain base-plates and quick-releases need to be specialized...but other than that I personally find no reason at all to buy any rig parts and rails that are more expensive than these Neewars.
    And if Neewar doesn't have some particular do-dad or bracket, or some other part, then SmallRig almost always does.

This rig shown looks great for that style because clearly all the dimensions can be adjusted to fit your body size, and for positioning and comfort. I bet it's pretty cheap too.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    BTW, the Pocket Cam is a 1/4-inch attachment hole on top and bottom. A small cage,like,the Wooden Camera or similar, adds a larger 3/8-inch size mount, so the Russian "Sniper" rig should,work,with the Pocket Camera.
    Well the Russain Krasnogorsk screw is too big for the Pocket, so it must be the larger 3/8 inch (always get the sizes mixed up) - hence why you need an adaptor & a quick release plate is the most practical solution (there are loads of different types out there, something for everyone).
    Handheld, i've managed to shoot for about 5/6mins & keep the whole thing pretty steady, not perfect, throughout (the wide shot in the video i posted).
    But it is a good, cheap (when i bought mine) solution if you want to be discreet when going handheld for short amounts of time (a shoulder rig is essential for long extended shots, obvious, i know) - I much prefer being on a tripod, but sometimes you just don't want or need to lug loads of gear around.

Thanks for all of the recommendation guys! After a bunch of more research I can say that getting a Retroflex would be a waste of my money. I guess 'trendy' was the wrong word to use, because I definitely am looking for something that would give me the most stabilization as well as being aesthetically pleasing/stealthy. So after a few hours of hunting around the forums and googling, I came to the conclusion that I'd much rather spend $500 on something like a Beholder MS1 or Nebula 4000. The Beholder is the same price as the Retroflex and from what i'm learning it seems to be a little more functional than the Nebula.

Thoughts?

http://www.4kshooters.net/2015/06/08...a7s-and-bmpcc/

Before you buy, you might want to check out their newest model, the Beholder DS1 - it looks to be a vast improvement over the MS1 in every respect. It is $200 more, though. I added it to my single-handle gimbal list here: http://www.starrydynamo.org/single-h...l-stabilizers/

That's hilarious that the Retroflex, which has almost no technology in it, is the same price as a cutting-edge gimbal like the Beholder.

I honestly don't know how they sell any of those Retroflex's.

Maybe they don't.

also for stabilisation you can get a cheap Camera Pistol Grip on ebay. it has additional thread at bottom, so you can attach a DIY counterweight to it. it helps counterbalance light tiny cameras and rig with mic and monitor. s-l1600.jpgs-l500.jpg
    Last edited by shijan; 10-19-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nilknahs View Post
    Thanks for all of the recommendation guys! After a bunch of more research I can say that getting a Retroflex would be a waste of my money. I guess 'trendy' was the wrong word to use, because I definitely am looking for something that would give me the most stabilization as well as being aesthetically pleasing/stealthy. So after a few hours of hunting around the forums and googling, I came to the conclusion that I'd much rather spend $500 on something like a Beholder MS1 or Nebula 4000. The Beholder is the same price as the Retroflex and from what i'm learning it seems to be a little more functional than the Nebula.

Thoughts?

http://www.4kshooters.net/2015/06/08...a7s-and-bmpcc/
    Gimbal Stabilisers are nice things but they are for limited usage. they usually fly somewhere and don't let you precise framing.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    Before you buy, you might want to check out their newest model, the Beholder DS1 - it looks to be a vast improvement over the MS1 in every respect. It is $200 more, though. I added it to my single-handle gimbal list here: http://www.starrydynamo.org/single-h...l-stabilizers/
    Nice site man thanks for comparisons. I'm looking online and I don't see anything different about the MS1 vs the DS1 besides the 32 bit motor and max weight difference. I mean there are minor ergonomic changes such as being able to use a tilt LCD, like with a Canon T3i, and such but I don't believe there is anything different that would affect usage with a BMPCC? I guess I can look up the weight for the lens I want but I doubt it'll be too heavy for the MS1. Does 8 bit vs 32 bit make that much of a difference?