Thread: BMPCC/BMMCC Run n Gun Recommendations

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11  
    Senior Member shijan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Odesa, UA
    Posts
    1,145
    Grip from vintage USSR Krasnogorsk 16mm movie camera works very well. But they are overpriced on eBay sometimes.

    grip-krasnogorsk_01.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,989
    Vintage stuff is the best. Heres a grip that's a little less vintage but could be amazing on the micro with a little electronics hacking.

    FUJINON-SRD-51-B1-N2.jpg
    Last edited by Howie Roll; 10-17-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    3,202
    Nice looking tripod handle zoom start/stop controller. Is it 8 or 12-pin? You can get the pint out for the connections, but it's not LANC control, but designed to control a Fuji ENG servo zoom lens. But it might be able to modify that, or find an adapter?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Grip from vintage USSR Krasnogorsk 16mm movie camera works very well. But they are overpriced on eBay sometimes.

    grip-krasnogorsk_01.jpg
    I use this combo (you need both to get smooth footage - more points of contact) with my BMPCC & it cost a massive 20!
    Also, have a cheap viewfinder, but will upgrade to a Zacuto BMPCC Z-Finder soon.
    Can't believe that people would spend $500 dollars on that Retroflex - it screams rip me off & it won't be that stable.
    If you've got money to burn, then invest in some type of speedbooster or a cheaper version & most importantly, put your money into lenses which will serve you into the future.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    14
    Yea thanks for all of the recommendations. I've been looking at other lanc pistol grip/viewfinder/cage alternatives that would be just as good the Retroflex so I can save funds to get better glass. I'm doing a lot of research about speedboosters and i'm leaning towards just getting a really wide and fast lens (like the voigt 10.5).

    Howie, that rig looks really nice, but the primary reason I like the pistol grip look is because it seems to work like a regular super8/super16 cam. Like I said earlier I will be shooting a lot of trendy events and such so that "look" of shooting with a super16 will work in my favor when it comes to personally branding myself.

    Anyway I truly appreciate all of the help guys! If you have any other ideas please keep them coming
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,989
    If you want trendy check this puppy. It's inventor even has a great ginger beard, doesn't get much trendier.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...atic-smartcase
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioskop.Inc View Post
    I use this combo (you need both to get smooth footage - more points of contact) with my BMPCC
    Does this thing (Krasnogorsk) work without any modification? The screw fits the BMPCC body?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd View Post
    Does this thing (Krasnogorsk) work without any modification? The screw fits the BMPCC body?
    No, it won't work as is because the screw is too large to fit into the bottom of the BMPCC - so you'll need to buy something like this Manfrotto quick release plate, which will work as an adaptor to fit your BMPCC onto it:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-32...0_SR146%2C160_

    Not sure if the linked Manfrotto is the right one - think the Krasnogorsk is a 1/4 screw & the BMPCC hole is smaller (check)
    Really ends up being a very stable light rig - add some tape on the pistol grip for extra comfort (like for a tennis racket handle - leather if you can find it). Also, I don't use a cage of any sort because...why? Just another unnecessary expense that people like to suggest & is completely useless, unless you're rigging the Pocket up big style.

    This is what you can shoot with this minimal set up:
    https://vimeo.com/121371216
    Last edited by Bioskop.Inc; 10-18-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member DPStewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Puget Sound
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by nilknahs View Post
    Yea thanks for all of the recommendations. I've been looking at other lanc pistol grip/viewfinder/cage alternatives that would be just as good the Retroflex so I can save funds to get better glass. I'm doing a lot of research about speedboosters and i'm leaning towards just getting a really wide and fast lens (like the voigt 10.5).

    Howie, that rig looks really nice, but the primary reason I like the pistol grip look is because it seems to work like a regular super8/super16 cam. Like I said earlier I will be shooting a lot of trendy events and such so that "look" of shooting with a super16 will work in my favor when it comes to personally branding myself.

    Anyway I truly appreciate all of the help guys! If you have any other ideas please keep them coming
    You might want to rethink this one mate. The Digital Bolex style handle has proven to be HORRIBLE for inducing camera shake of a type that just ruins shots and makes people think it looks amateurish.
    Obviously an ultra-wide lens helps, but I think you're starting from the worst possible place by using a pistol grip to start with.
    I totally get the convenience factor, and that it makes for a very clean rig, but ultimately it's all about the footage you get and I think you may end up with overall better results using the side-grip style cage like was posted on the first page here.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    3,202
    Stewart, it also includes a shoulder stock support, which adds another point of support. You need a loupe on the monitor or EVF to frame shots with. This is workable for short takes, as B Roll to a tripod rig, or getting short shots while walking around. i shot with a 16mm Bolex (bigger than the Pocket cam) with a rig like this for some action shots. But, you can not hold it for extended shooting, as your arm and grip will fatigue. Another similarm but more expensive version is the a Edelkrone Pocket Rig 2 ($285), or Zacuto set up, even more money.

    BTW, the Pocket Cam is a 1/4-inch attachment hole on top and bottom. A small cage,like,the Wooden Camera or similar, adds a larger 3/8-inch size mount, so the Russian "Sniper" rig should,work,with the Pocket Camera.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Veydra has a BMMCC
    By AaronChicago in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-29-2015, 10:41 PM
  2. Great looking new cages for bmpcc and bmmcc
    By mcnys in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2015, 10:06 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 05:06 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-25-2013, 07:52 AM
  5. ND filter stops recommendations for S16 sensor - BMPCC
    By demoboyBMC in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •