Thread: Guessing What Len is coming Next By Xeen.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Usually when something is going cheaper than the competition there is a reason. I too are not taken by Xeen.
    I have my sight set on the Zeiss Milvus.

Hi Taikonaut, I don't think the more expensive the better, with zeiss you also just simply pay extra for the brand/name without doubt.
    Not to say I don't like the CP.2's, I used them on many project before.
    The Rokinon prime lenses for dslr's (cine T line) are very popular because they deliver great image and built quality for sometimes half the price of other brands, that's impressive, so I think Rokinon deserves some credit for that, it proofs cheap does not always mean crap.

With the Xeens to be honest I hear mixed reviews, some say it's amazing quality for that price and compare them to Zeiss CP.2's They are almost twice the price.
    I also read on forums that they used the Xeens, but their review does not go further then: "I'm not impressed" or "I didn't like them"..Why? You almost never hear. And if they do it's:"something about the look I don't like"(fair ofcourse) or "They are too expensive"..Compared to? What Rokinon prime lenses? Yes..Its the same optics:-) (same with the CP.2's btw, they use the same optics as Zeiss ZF.2, only handpicked..lol)..Those people are comparing apples with oranges if you ask me.
    And that's weird cause when you see a side by side comparisson with the Sony Cine Alta and CP.2's on youtube or vimeo those reviewers are pretty impressed with the image quality.( newsshooter.com for example)

The guy at cheesycam.com (don't know his name, other then Mr. Cheesycam) is right now comparing the Xeens with the Rokinon Cine primes. Not sure what that will tell people cause again, it's comparing apples with oranges if you ask me. Not to say I'm not curious about the optical quality diff, altho I now know already that the Xeens will blow the dslr primes away. (really I know)

Rick said it right if you ask me, right now they are just a little to expensive to enter the consumer/semi-pro market. Their so called "step-up" is a little to high to buy, also for me. I'm for now sticking with my plan to order a set of Tamron primes for my next project, but if the Xeens were arround 1250 I'd go with them when they have a 6 prime set. Not even needing to test them in the store

Zeiss Milvus is a nice set ofcourse, can't go wrong with them I'm sure, but they are not PL and that's the great feature the Xeens offer.
    Last edited by Perry Mulder; 01-02-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Mulder View Post
    Not sure if there is any news on the upcoming xeen yet, but I found this comparison video that was posted today. Filmed with a Red Dragon 6k, between Zeiss and Xeen.
    https://youtu.be/3u2i4gwI3Ps
    Standards def had the best colour to me. The scenes all looked pretty good from all lenses though.

The apo lenses have my attention. I'd honestly just get a set of Rokinon DS over the Xeens at the price Xeens are selling for. If sigma comes out with their own set of cinema lenses at NAB, cheaper than GL optics then it may be game over for both Apo and Xeens. Well maybe not Apo (based on price) ... But definitely Xeens.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Hi Darren, I was also impressed with the Zeiss Standards, but to me it's amazing that the Xeens kept up so well with them.
    A set of 5 standards go on ebay for about 21.000 dollar. A set of 5 xeens would be about 11.000. So that's why I'm surpriced why some say they were not impressed with the Xeens, there in no set of 3 PL's that are in the same pricerange. Still I think they should be priced the same as the APO PL from SLRmagic.
    If you don't need PL and are not looking for the buildquality a PL lens like the Xeen is offering, then I think Rokinon DS lenses perform perfectly fine for the price they go for it's a awesome set to have. I myself am going for the Tamrons with VC, cause I like the image they produce, and if Xeen drops in price I will def. consider them.

This test (repost) and the one you commented on in you quote are the reasons why I think the Xeens will perform very well:

Hey Perry...I agree and I do think all of us here agree that the Xeens are really good for what they bring to the table. But the price is def a bit much for where they (rokinon) are coming from and considering their core market. However right now they and the Sony Cinealtas are the only truly budget cinema lens set. APO won't be a set for now and there is nothing priced as good as Xeens and Cinealtas.
    Last edited by jambredz; 01-02-2016 at 03:08 PM.
    Darren Scott

Amen! to that Darren.

A swedish retailer (www.cyberphoto.se) had 20% off on all Samyang/Rokinon products during december. The Xeens are already much cheaper in Sweden than at B&H for example, so I got all three PL lenses for about $4,100+vat. Not delivered yet though, but not in a hurry before the 4.6K shows up...

A new Xeen test on Vimeo again. 720p. but you can download the original 1GB version.
    Not the best test if you ask me, but it might be helpfull to some and since there is no new 4.6K footage out there its better then nothing right..

And one on youtube:

Darren,

How are the Cinealtas?
    Last edited by JOSOCAcreative; 04-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSOCAcreative View Post
    Darren,

How are the Cinealtas? Looking for a set for the 4.6K. Thanks.
    I have no personal experience with them. I've only heard great things about them though...apart from the fact that they are big and heavy like RED pro primes.

Here's a test with them one a RED ONE mx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY2bpI2o-kY
    Last edited by jambredz; 01-17-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    Darren Scott