Thread: Just started a feature.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good, Vic, especially given your constraints. One item I'm wondering about though regarding the lighting. Because you are realistically using overhead lights, for cinema purposes, is there a way you can get more fill on the faces or otherwise soften the shadows cast by the overhead lights? Perhaps even a little light on the camera to lighten wherever you are pointing when going in for close ups? It's looking like a very artistic piece of work, great colour and mood. I don't think a little more light in the facial shadows would kill your look, but you be the judge.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbroening View Post
    Vic-

Thanks for posting and seems like you are off to a great start. I would you love to hear more about your experiences as you shoot this feature. I assume you are using speedbooster. (That 50 and 85 will get pretty long pretty fast without it) . Do you have a DIT on set to off load cards? Are you overwhelmed by the amount of data you are going through by shooting RAW? What is your battery solution ? Can we see your rig? How are you creating dailies?
    Thanks Thomas. I am using a Speedbooster but I do take it off and put a dumb adapter on with the 50 to get me as close to a 135 since I returned that lens. I might buy another one just to shoot the rest of this film.

I'm pretty much doing everything at this point. Whenever I fill up a card, I run over to the station and start to dump it. That also gives the actors a time to relax and get some fresh air since it's so cramped in there. Day 3 we actually pretty much ran out of media due to a bottleneck on dumping. We had a lot of 3-5 min takes and that just tore through our cards. Think we're getting more cards.

My battery solution is 130W Upower Vmount batteries. Been using them since these cameras came out. I hate the internal batteries on the Pocket.

I'll grab a pic of the rig this weekend and dailies are just going through resolve for proxies.

Looks really good so far. Love the look.

Looks good.

I have a BMCC and have never used a BMPCC, but in all honesty, I prefer the image that comes out of the pocket.

It's just more "milky." However you feel like interpreting that

Taking a Vacation
    Day2. Grades not as harsh as the others but it will be Little clean for my taste and the film.

DreaGrain_1.55.1.jpg

Oh shit! Draya is in this?

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Thanks Thomas. I am using a Speedbooster...

This is why I think the Pocket kicks ass compared to the Cinema Camera. The speedboosted look you get from the pocket is damn hard to beat.
    -Michael Beck

Quote Originally Posted by mbeck View Post
    This is why I think the Pocket kicks ass compared to the Cinema Camera. The speedboosted look you get from the pocket is damn hard to beat.
    I use a speedbooster on my Cinema Camera, and since the sensor sizes are relatively similar the results are too.

I'm still quite interested in hearing exactly HOW the image differs between the BMCC and the BMPCC when compared in equal settings.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I use a speedbooster on my Cinema Camera, and since the sensor sizes are relatively similar the results are too.

I'm still quite interested in hearing exactly HOW the image differs between the BMCC and the BMPCC when compared in equal settings.
    It might just come down to chroma noise handling and allowing more of the color to properly come through without being hindered by noise. The actual color / skin tones just come through stronger somehow. 2.5K seems to have a slightly thinner image, perhaps due to the noise.
    Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Taking a Vacation
    Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if we keep this thread on topic. I mean it to be a look into a feature as we go shot on the Pocket, not a thread about technical reasons or evidence why I or someone else likes one camera over the other. If it turns into that I'm going to close and pull the thread. I won't let this turn into a bloated back and forth thread like most are here these days.

Hope you understand and thanks for all the positive responses about our little film. I'll post more stills once we get out of the damn dinning room. We have 45 pages to shoot just in that spot.