Thread: New version of Resolve vs Lightworks esp for editing

1. #1 New version of Resolve vs Lightworks esp for editing 
    Can any of you Resolve v12 beta testers, developers, trainers, reviewers, etc... comment on the new editing capabilities in forthcoming Resolve v12 without breaking terms of your Nondisclosure Agreement?

I am especially interested in the new edit features as they compare with Lightworks www.lwks.com - their Pro version birthday sale ends today, and while I really like their free version (intuitive, easy of use), I don't know if i should pony up 214usd for the pro version as I already have a full version of Resolve.

Anyone using both Resolve v12 and Lightworks?

Thanks

You have Resolve. There's always another sale. I'd continue with Resolve 12 which will be released in a few weeks and decide in the future if it meets your needs rather than succumb to the pressure to buy something you may not need.

Excellent advice, you're right about sales!
    Thank you sir!

I have been using Lighworks Pro for a couple of years now. When used with a keyboard and jog shuttle console like the Contour Shuttlepro it is a very fast efficient editor, but still seriously under rapid development. Another year and I think it will stand with anything. Resolve 11 feels pretty clunky by comparison. It will be interesting to see how 12 improves, but I don't see them significantly changing the basic paradigm.
    Lightworks v12.5 added direct DNG raw import capability along with support for importing 3D LUTS in several formats, both for project previews and as color correction FX applied to edit timelines. The DNG processing is too primitive and not of good enough quality for direct finishing, but it runs real time at editing speeds with no issues. It is great to be able to apply a basic dailies one light correction LUT exported from Resolve and do first pass rough cuts in Lightworks to get an EDL for finish grading in Resolve. Saves a lot of disk space eliminating proxy transcodes. The graded DI quality uncompressed video clips exported from Resolve can be be linked back into the Lightworks edit with a single timeline command for FX and finishing. I like Lightworks more comprehensive export codec options, but that could change with Resolve 12 too. Fusion also links into the Lightworks timeline as an assistant app for more sophisticated graphics and compositing FX but for the fairly simple stuff I do the native user FX bundle is more than adequate.
    Lightworks runs best with uncompressed or intra-frame compressed codecs. It does not play well with highly compressed long GOP codecs. Prores HQ or DNXHD mezzanine codecs run very well. If your media drives can keep up, it will run DPX, JPEG, or TIFF frame sequences like butter. Works better with high quality frame sequence formats than most NLE's.
    I love the speed and efficiency of Lightworks media organization and timeline editing features. Syncing double system sound files with raw footage is easy and most timeline trimming can be done without taking your eyes off the screen with the Shuttlepro. The mouse is only used for functions that require menu access.
    Last edited by razz16mm; 06-25-2015 at 01:03 AM.

the resolve beta test is just starting now. so there's not that many people out there yet that had a chance to play around with resolve 12

http://t.co/UGPslhekEa

A recent demo of Resolve 12 edit features at the June 2015 meeting of The L.A. Creative Pro User Group.

It's going to be a long month waiting for this, looks like it is going to be an awesome release and can't wait to try it out. After watching this presentation I'm hoping to leave Premier behind, especially as I am still on CS5 and no way I am going rental for my editing needs.

Dave

NoFilmSchool also has a quick look from NAB 2015. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    It's going to be a long month waiting for this, looks like it is going to be an awesome release and can't wait to try it out. After watching this presentation I'm hoping to leave Premier behind, especially as I am still on CS5 and no way I am going rental for my editing needs.

Dave
    Nothing beats free! Looks pretty impressive at first glance. The audio improvements are awesome.