Thread: Custom Follow Focus

1. #1 Custom Follow Focus 
    So instead of me asking questions like I have been tending to do, I decided to share something I have been working on for the past couple of days. I'm currently finishing up my 3rd year of mechanical engineering and for a final project in my CAD class, we have to design a geared assembly. Well, I have always been absolutely blown away by the overpriced nature of most camera hardware, especially follow focus's. It really has always been hard for me to fathom how there can be one that sells for over $1000 and in materials alone it can't be more than $50.

So, with that little background (and rant) over with. My plan is to 3D print a prototype next week, and to then have my buddy who works at a machine shop, CNC the gears, arm, and whatever else I decide needs to be made out of metal. The project is due April 29th, and as such, will be finished hopefully well before that.

I'll be updating this thread often with updates and changes to the design as I go.

Here is the (very) rough start of it, with the finished gearbox. The gear ratio is 1.67:1. I'm not sure of whether or not to keep the same overall design of it, as I'm thinking of going with a more of a RedRock style with the gearbox and arm down by the rails.

As I haven't had much experience with different types of follow focus's, I would love to hear your opinions of your favorite designs and I will change it accordingly!

Of course there is a back and top cover to the gearbox, just is open for editing/viewing.

Changed the arm to be more like the RedRock and also added some fillets and champers. Definitely liking this style much more.

Last edited by USFSilverking; 04-10-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Updated the design quite a bit, will be 3D printing the first prototype either Monday or Tuesday!

The Focus ring will be attached with a zip tie to be low profile and I will most likely end up making a one piece seamless ring later on.
    Last edited by USFSilverking; 04-17-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Too cool. Look forward to the printed result!

Looks promising! I'd love to see the result of the 3D printing.

Quote Originally Posted by USFSilverking View Post
    Well, I have always been absolutely blown away by the overpriced nature of most camera hardware, especially follow focus's. It really has always been hard for me to fathom how there can be one that sells for over $1000 and in materials alone it can't be more than $50.
    While that's true, specially for ARRI, Chrosziel, Tilta and others, there's also some affordable ones with good quality, such as Trusmt, Kamerar, Fotga and Lensse (http://www.lensse.com/lensse-s5-dual-follow-focus/).

Make the gear easily reversible as most already can do it.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Looks great Dude. may I make a suggestion. I have the Kamerar Follow focus and one of the features it has is you can adjust the play with a hex screwwhen it starts getting loose (See video below starts at 1:08). It has been so nice to have that feature. Is there a way you can incorporate something like that in this? Just a suggestion.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

I would be interested in buying one if you do a run of these, though I would want it to be easily adjustable and reversible.

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, definitely appreciated! This first prototype I'm going to be keeping it simple with any of the addition features. Once I can see how the form factor is and how smooth the plastic gears seem, I will work on adding more "user friendly" features on future designs. I also just found out that my friends shop doesn't have small enough tooling for the gears, so I'm going to have to check around for another solution on that end, as I'm pretty sure the plastic gears won't cut it!

keep it up.. id like to see the final results...