Thread: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Teardown and Repair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    Resoldering two pins that go through a circuit board is called teardown and repair?

Things are a lot more complicated if the part is replaced especially if it's surface mount.
    How would you call it?

He actually took his bmcc apart, and repaired what was broken?

This clip of a teardown of a BMCC4K camera may have been linked previously. If so, please forgive my not having spotted it. I don't have the wit to be able to make the clip appear in a frame in this message so you will have to click on the link itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CHwWHPM7k

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    This clip of a teardown of a BMCC4K camera may have been linked previously. If so, please forgive my not having spotted it. I don't have the wit to be able to make the clip appear in a frame in this message so you will have to click on the link itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CHwWHPM7k
    Has the BMPCC 4k ever been 'torn down' on video? Would be quite interestng to see the motherboard, sensor and ports. Hope BlackMagic have had the sense to use a seperate board for the connectors this time round - with the original Pocket, you could easily break the HMDI port with no easy (if any) repair options. Any ideas on rehousing the 4k Pocket into an Ursa Mini style body? Someone on this thread posted a four part video of the original BMCC being converted this way, and it blew me away! Awesome skills and commitment - if he offered it as a service I'm sure he'd be swamped with work!

I think it is too soon for a BMPCC4K to become so intimately violated. Likely unless it gets hit by a bus or goes over the side of a boat, warranty will be applicable on most of them and historically BM has been very good in that respect. When one irretrievably dies outside of product support, then we may see the entrails. From looking at one offered on eBay which was partially smashed, it seems the same practice of unitary versus modular electronics remains. There may be two separable electronic systems plus things like LCD displays being pluggable "hopefully". I had toyed with the notion of transplanting its guts into the dead "Big" URSA but the broadness of the circuit board within the narrow turret body and the necessary close coupling of the sensor with the motherboard pretty much put that notion to bed. I am hoping to try the transplant arrangement with an original BMPC4K if one turns up distressed but otherwise intact.