Thread: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm F/1.9 on BMPCC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Meteor 5-1 17-69mm F/1.9 on BMPCC 
    Hey guys,

Anyone know what proper adapter to use for the Meteor to focus correctly on BMPCC? I have two different M42 adapters which connects fine, but everything is way out of focus. Both of the adapters that I have put a gap between the rear end of the Meteor and the Pocket's sensor. I tried putting the rear end of the lens against the Pocket and the image came into focus.

I guess an alternative would be to put the lens on top of a lens support bracket and wrap it with gaffer's tape.

Hey Somnang, I managed to get around this by using two adapters - firstly an M42 to EF, then an EF to M43. Its a nice tight fit! You get only a little bit of vignette and the minimum focus distance is quite close still, but its more than adequate to make the most of the lovely images this lens help produce

Beware. There are two mount versions of this lens. As stated before the M42 and a bayonet mount. The M42 version is a bit different from usual M42, it has a 1mm difference in flange distance. Both working adapters for it can be found on ebay from Belorussian seller named RAFcamera.

The rafcamera adapter works well and focuses correctly. It IS however a very tight fit on both BMPCC and BMCC, so much so that I am thinking of sanding a little off the back of it.
    Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor
    Twitter Vimeo
    http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
    BMMCC Veydras
    Smallrig, Letus & Ergocine support

Hello, just got my K3 with the Meteor.

Is this the proper adaptor to purchase on rafcamera to mount it on bmpcc?
    http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapter-m42-mft

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Hello, just got my K3 with the Meteor.

Is this the proper adaptor to purchase on rafcamera to mount it on bmpcc?
    http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapter-m42-mft

Thanks!
    Yes, Roberto, this is the one that I am using. And I am quite pleased with it. Here is some footage that I recently took with the BMPCC and Meteor 5-1 using the RafCamera M42X1-MTF adapter.

I was very positively suprised at the image quality that comes from this cheap Russian lens together with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. First of all, its high speed (f/1.9) came to its right while doing the night shootings and really served the RAW footage well; I had no issues with enough exposure from street lighting. I was especially suprised at the shallow depth of field that is possible to extract from the BMPCC-Meteor 5-1 combo, evidently visible in several shots throughout the film (and especially at 01:00 and 11:25). It also has a quite nice bokeh, at least nice enough in several shots throughout the night scenes (again visible at 01:00, as well as 03:00); one can say that it handles bokeh with varying results. The Meteor 5-1 is more sharp than I expected, but that problable has more to do with CinemaDNG RAW enhancing resolution with its high dynamic range and bit rate, in which the Meteor contributes with a pleasant filmic softness to the image. The RafCamera M42x1-MTF adapter seems to have a optimal flange distance as it is easy to pull focus with the Meteor 5-1, which even maintains focus when its focal length changes, i.e. it is evidently a parafocal lens. On the other hand, the timelapse sequence proves that the Meteor 5-1 has issues with sharpness over very long distances on day shots when pulled to infinity, at least when aperture is set below f/8, which either may be a sign of a lens abberation (such as a spherical aberration or astigmatism) or a defect of the RafCamera M42x1-MTF lens adapter. I never spotted this phenomenon during any of the night scenes so brightness seems to enhance this infinity focusing issue.

I experienced no other issues with sharpness and focus was generally easy to follow; I only had to scrap one scene because of badly pulled focus from all of the footage that I gathered from both shooting days. However, it is somewhat ankward to pull focus with the hand on the focus ring, requiring shifting of the hand to pull all the way, resulting in shaky footage; a follow focus rig is thus required. The zoom lever with attached rod is a nice feature to pull zoom easily, but its difficult to do a steady slow zooming with the lever as it doesn’t seem to be damped at all, contrary to the focus ring. The Meteor 5-1 lens has a very distinctive lens flare quality to it, easily provoking this effect in any strong light source (to evidently to recount in each and every case throughout the film, but most prominently at 04:20, 06:45 and 10:00); often showing the hexagonal iris of the lens. It of course totally blows away the image in the timelapse sequence from 08:07 making it evident that it cannot handle very strong light sources, such as pointing the camera directly towards the sun, as the Meteor 5-1 is to sensitive in this respect, making the low quality manufacture (i.e. lack of anti-reflective coating) evident for the first time during the shoot. All in all, the Meteor 5-1 creates a bright and warm cinematic image, making detail in shadows visible, but lacking somewhat in contrast giving it its flat and soft character. It really brings out the colours in any image but especially excells in low-light conditions, which compensates for the professed bad low-light handling of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.
    https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
    Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
    LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
    Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
    Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
    16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
    Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

man, can hardly wait for the adapter to arrive.
    thanks for such detailed info, tomas.

Look forward to this:

Meteor on BMPCC.jpg

Camera

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Here you can watch the Meteor in its full glory with the Test Movie uploaded the using the DNxHR HQ compression codec wrapped in QuickTime and Ultra HD 4K 3840×2160 resolution. Now finally YouTube does justice to the native CinemaDNG RAW 1080p footage coming from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and the LOMO Meteor 5-1 lens!

https://youtu.be/ZiH3mmckMkk

Camera

Workstation
    Windows 10 Pro
    Resolve 12.5.4.019
    ASUS X99-A
    Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Thomas, could you post a picture of the Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip and shoulder mount on the BMPCC?

I've been thinking of getting the same setup but I haven't seen anyone do it before.