Thread: Strong flare with Chinese Speed booster

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ironically it was the OP that had problems with the cheap speedbooster. When it is explained why, they lash out with offensive name calling.

Quote Originally Posted by federer_express View Post
    in bright sunlight, it doesn't matter where I point it; I get a strong flare in the middle of the lens.
    Thanks,
    Federer_Express

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Maybe it's a language issue. "Ideal" doesn't mean the minimum. If I wasn't clear I apologize. I was merely illustrating that your statement that accessories shouldn't cost more than a camera body is not supported by the collective experience of this forum. You can call me a "dick" and accuse me of thinking I wrote the "Bible" or whatever but that doesn't change the facts on the ground. You can go back and read film photography books from the 1950s or you can watch youtube videos about the latest 4k camera. What you will find is a bunch of people agreeing with the statement I made.

You really need to read the forum before posting these diatribes. We already had a lengthy and intense debate about what the minimum BMPCC setup should be. I'll let you in on one of the spoilers. I was actually one of the people with a lower estimate of cost of ownership. So if you are calling me a "dick" or saying I have some kind of messiah complex well you are pretty much saying even worse about the rest of the forum members. And I'm actually going to make a thread about my experiences so far with revised costs of ownership. I honestly think, for me, they are going to be higher than my initial estimates. And you know what? It doesn't matter. I can say I was wrong and you were right. It doesn't cost you anything. I don't care about pride. What I care about is posting accurate information on this forum so the next guy has realistic information to work with.

I'm a professional. Every so often so called friends ask me for inappropriate stuff too. I politely tell them no and move them out of the friend column.

Anyway in your original statement you said, take it to an optician. You did not say, I have a friend who is an optician. If this guy is willing to do it for free just because he likes you then good for you. None of us have the clairvoyance to know who has an optician friend who works for free. You shouldn't fault us for that. You should have started a thread saying, I have an optician friend who is in the habit of coating my lenses for free. You would have gotten very different responses. You have to ask the right question to get a useful answer. It looks like you made up your mind already so good luck. Let us know if your friend's free work solves your problem.
    Thanks for the attitude-less reply. The sarcasm wasn't useful and by no means was I ever really serious about taking it to an optician, but rather a cute idea that I thought I would throw across the minds of the forum. I have this Nikon booster and it really is great indoors and in the shade as I stated before, and if I could use it in bright sunlight, it would be perfect then I wouldn't have to switch lens around when I go inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
    Ironically it was the OP that had problems with the cheap speedbooster. When it is explained why, they lash out with offensive name calling.
    Haha, I thought I made it clear that I didn't appreciate vidshooter's attitude and condescension. Vic told me it was the coating, so I thought maybe an optician would have something that could help with the flare. I'm going to talk to my friend anyways as he knows more about optics and coatings.

Can you do a test with and without the speed booster? Maybe its the quality of your lens. But Vic is right, if you don't have the $$$ at the moment for Metabones, Rj Turbo 2nd version with the mount is an option.

Hi guys,

Anyone have some experience with these Chinese Speedboosters? I got one with my BMPCC and it works great indoors and in the shade, but in bright sunlight, it doesn't matter where I point it; I get a strong flare in the middle of the lens. I'm not sure if it's Zhonyi or RJ. But it's a Nikon with Speedbooster and the lens is 18-50 Sigma 2.8.

Thanks,
    Federer_Express
    I want to point you to this website.... It deals with the flare you are talking about in the middle of the image, however it's talking about IR photography. The same concepts apply, and it's more than likely internal reflections that your seeing bounce around due to manufacturing either in the lens or the speed booster. Lens coatings are a big proponent in this. I have some great older glass, but if I try and push it to far, or ND too much, I always end up with a center hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre W. View Post
    I want to point you to this website.... It deals with the flare you are talking about in the middle of the image, however it's talking about IR photography. The same concepts apply, and it's more than likely internal reflections that your seeing bounce around due to manufacturing either in the lens or the speed booster. Lens coatings are a big proponent in this. I have some great older glass, but if I try and push it to far, or ND too much, I always end up with a center hotspot.
    Thanks, but which website do you speak of?

Thanks, but which website do you speak of?
    Any. Just put "IR" and "hotspot" into the google machine and tons of links come up.

Face it. No one considers buying a garbage lens and trying to fix it with DIY practical... let alone economical.