Thread: Strong flare with Chinese Speed booster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Strong flare with Chinese Speed booster 
    Hi guys,

Anyone have some experience with these Chinese Speedboosters? I got one with my BMPCC and it works great indoors and in the shade, but in bright sunlight, it doesn't matter where I point it; I get a strong flare in the middle of the lens. I'm not sure if it's Zhonyi or RJ. But it's a Nikon with Speedbooster and the lens is 18-50 Sigma 2.8.

Thanks,
    Federer_Express

You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by poematik13 View Post
    You get what you pay for.
    It came with the camera. Thanks for adding nothing to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by federer_express View Post
    It came with the camera. Thanks for adding nothing to the thread.
    Yeah, not only did that not add to the thread, it also doesn't make much sense. There are plenty of great chinese knockoffs (some comparable to metabones) out there, but some of the earlier ones were hit or miss.
    It's difficult to tell where the generic "focal reducers" came from (as they are unbranded), but I believe the one I got was from this seller:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...ducer&_sacat=0
    Not sure which mount you need, but it doesn't look like he currently has the EOS to M43 version.
    I believe this is the same one as mine as well:
    www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-adapter-For-Canon-EF-mount-Lens-to-Micro-4-3-Camera-/281240980971

I can't remember specifically which ones were bad (except anything by Fotodiox... hah), but there's a lot of good general info in this thread, among others:
    http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?12...erture-Control

I'm sure a few others will chime in with their good/bad experiences.

Taking a Vacation
    There's countless info and threads on this all over the internet. As stated earlier, you get what you pay for sometimes. Many of these cheap boosters are made with inferior glass and even worse coatings. I think that Zhonyi was pretty bad as well as the first batch of RJs. Probably why it was sold with the Pocket. The original owner found out it was garbage. Nothing you can do man, sorry. Many of these things are just junk.

If you want, search the internet for examples but it is what it is. These cheap boosters are the reason I was banned from Personal View. The cheap ones were being sold over there when we knew they sucked and I was very vocal about it, thus getting banned.

Hi guys,

Anyone have some experience with these Chinese Speedboosters? I got one with my BMPCC and it works great indoors and in the shade, but in bright sunlight, it doesn't matter where I point it; I get a strong flare in the middle of the lens. I'm not sure if it's Zhonyi or RJ. But it's a Nikon with Speedbooster and the lens is 18-50 Sigma 2.8.

Thanks,
    Federer_Express
    They are all Chinese speed boosters. Tell me which ones aren't?

Actually the cheaper focal reducers, not the early batch that suffers from flares, can be a blessing over the higher quality but more expensive Metabones. It is not as sharp which is sometimes more preferable for filming as it is less prone to aliasing too. As a dumb mount it also won't reduce your battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    There's countless info and threads on this all over the internet. As stated earlier, you get what you pay for sometimes. Many of these cheap boosters are made with inferior glass and even worse coatings. I think that Zhonyi was pretty bad as well as the first batch of RJs. Probably why it was sold with the Pocket. The original owner found out it was garbage. Nothing you can do man, sorry. Many of these things are just junk.

If you want, search the internet for examples but it is what it is. These cheap boosters are the reason I was banned from Personal View. The cheap ones were being sold over there when we knew they sucked and I was very vocal about it, thus getting banned.
    I find the sharpness is pretty good with the adapter I have, it's just sensitive to very bright light. Do you know if there is an aftermarket coating I can apply to it? Maybe take it to an optician?

I find the sharpness is pretty good with the adapter I have, it's just sensitive to very bright light. Do you know if there is an aftermarket coating I can apply to it? Maybe take it to an optician?
    Why not try a quality variable ND fader.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Why not try a quality variable ND fader.
    I ordered one in the fall, but it was the wrong thread size, so I just used it on another lens. I tried some tests with it by placing it in front of the lens and shooting a household lamp into it, but I was still getting the flare. On a normal sunny day though, the ND may help. I think I'll try again with if it there aren't any other suggestions.