Thread: BMC vs 5d MKIII

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    nice videos.

though what i'd simply like, which would put the artifacting into perspective, is just shoot someone wearing various types of pinstripe dress shirts. simple as that, have them move around a bit and see how fine the pinstripes can be for the aliasing to be noticable
    Darren Levine

he shoots, he edits, he frequently rants
    http://mediahalo.com/p/dlevine

But that kind of question is already answered by looking at the resolution chart. It shows you exactly what you can expect, at what level of detail.

yes, but that's charts, and while yes you can derive what to expect, im not about to to macys with my caliper and start measuring pinstripes, though yes i could.... ok fine hang on a second while i measure my own wardrobe....

ok, so i've got pants at 3.26mm and a shirt at 5.31mm between stripes

but then there's the thickness of the stripes which are a factor, here the pants are 2.9mm and the shirt .80mm roughly.

so while i can put those against the charts, it's not quite the same as looking at the actual shot and seeing if the level of artifacting is acceptable to me, or she, or whomever.

but yes, estimations can be made using the charts and a caliper
    Darren Levine

I was waffling in the kodak thread about early kodak sensors, an image I posted..

I think the point is a chart can translate to a real scene..

And BTW your pinstripes. they are small when further away from the lens!

And this image we could have cured by gettng closer or further away If we had a suitable monitor to actually spot it.

mory.jpg

And while we are chatting 5d3, I found it pretty soft IMO, just from a casual test, I wore a nightmare shirt!

Last edited by morgan_moore; 09-28-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imdjay View Post
    but yes, estimations can be made using the charts and a caliper
    Look at the chart again. You're going to see aliasing on EVERY edge, at every possible distance. Look at all the edges, at even the most widely spaced ones, and you'll see color fringing on them. It's only when they reach a certain distance and beyond that it becomes a total mess of colored stripy-ness.

Thing about moire patterns is that you can't necessarily predict when it will be "fine" and when it will overwhelm your shot. Because it's not just the width of the pattern that matters, but also the distance from the camera combined with the focal length of the lens. What leads to moire patterns is when the pattern of detail, as sampled by the sensor, hits a certain level of repetitiveness. If you move six inches closer, the moire pattern might totally disappear. If you move six inches further away, you might be swamped with rainbow stripes all over your image. You can't necessarily predict it.

So when I said "look at the chart", what I'm saying is that you will see colored aliasing on every pattern beyond a certain level of resolved detail, so if you look at the chart and see where it all goes straight to hell in a dragster-powered handbasket, you can get an idea of the fineness of detail that's going to be a problem. Then you'll have to compare that against your shooting style and your own experience of how big the patterns are on your monitor, the way you shoot.

i should have specified that when i said i can go to macys and measure patterns, my point there was about wardrobe limitations for actors. of course all the factors you mentioned come into play, but what im more generally looking for is where the
    so called safe zone is with this sensor. far away shots arent as much of a concern since they're that much less of the scene, it's the mediums and closeups that would be very apparent to the audience if artifacting shows up all over a shirt. hence my question of how tight of a pattern shirt can one wear when being shot with this cam, when being shot from head to toe and closer
    Darren Levine

have you dowloaded the tokyo DNGs ?

You get a very good impression IMO unbelievable wide clarity and sharpness (but a bit of wide zoom look) and a bit of moiree, nothing like the 5d3 in any shape of form IMO

S

Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    I don't see any issues with the 5D video that haven't been issues with Canon DSLR video since day one. They are by their nature very limited in the kinds of shots they do well compared with any decent quality real video camera shooting a high quality 4:2:2 video codec or better.
    Do you guys even know what 4:2:2 means? It doesn't change the shots you can do one bit. The only real thing it does is make it easier to greenscreen and do keying mattes. Everything you see on the web and tv is 4:2:0. If you don't change anything about color edges anyway, it doesn't matter if it originates at 4:4:4.

Besides, according to you apparently even the FS700 is not a real video camera as it shoots only AVCHD at 4:2:0. I shot with the FS700 and the 5dmarkIII this weekend. There were shots on the FS700 which broke a bit (flashes broke the encoding) but were fine on the 5dmarkIII all-i encoding. Funny.

Wow, I was going to get a 5DIII, but this really shows how compressed the 5D footage really is.