Thread: new 5K retina iMac vs 8 core Mac Pro

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The problem with the iMac is still the GPU....I am sure the screen is amazing but 4gb vram is not better then the last iMac and this is where the Mac pro d500/d700 is the better system....especially for resolve...

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    I'm really curious to see the retina display here, especially for color.
    Well, still 8bit with a mediocre mobile GPU, don't expect too much.

8 bit only for the screen is a massive drawback for grading. You'll never know if your image is falling apart due to extreme grading or just because of limitations of the display. For serious work, 10 bit is a minimum and IMHO more important than going beyond HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Well, there should be parity between the D700 (Tahiti) and the M295X (Tonga). They have the same number of stream processors (2048) but different GCN architecture.

They both can do 3.5TFlops/s. The difference comes down to 6GB of memory versus 4GB.

You don't get something for nothing. If the Mac Pro cost more than the iMac 5k it suggest me that they are specced for different market. If I want to grade 4k Raw videos from a BMPC the iMac 5k just won't cut it. The good thing with the Mac Pro is you can upgrade the CPU and CPU prices are coming down.
    Since I have started shooting 4k Raw from the BMPC I don't ever want to go back to Prores. The quality is night and day. So iMac 5k for me is not fit for purpose.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 10-20-2014 at 05:16 AM.

MacOS doesn't support 10-bit displays. But the iMac will be great for cutting.

as excited as i am about the 5K imac, it is a little misleading in reality....the screen is "too good" for the cpu and gpu and mostly for the existing connection technology.....this imac does not for example support thunderbolt display mode....simply because TB2 isn't fast enough to support this...Dell will be selling this same display and it will require 2 display port cables....and we don't really know how and if that will work with the mac pro....maybe 2 TB2 channels (not just ports)? apple won't do a monitor that requires 2 cables...they will wait for TB3 or HDMI2 which will be fast enough to drive this...
    in a way the biggest letdown is that the 5K display just does not come with enough power (GPU/CPU) to handle actual 4K or 5K footage.....this is more or less still a laptop in a desktop enclosure....
    for everybody else (graphic, photography,...) this will be great and just like with all other retina displays, once you see it, it is hard to go back....
    i kept waiting for any mention of video production, maybe a new version of fcpx....did not happen because this is not it, really....it will be a great machine to do a lot of stuff but it really isn't much better then the last imac in terms of power.....
    new chips are on the horizon and there was a lot of talk about how this imac might be announced now and ship in 2015 with the new chips and such....i think it is great that apple got them out there NOW, they should be great machines but 4K or 5K video requires something really special to handle the data....and right now a 6core mac pro with D700s (upgrade the CPU later) is hands down the better choice...especially for resolve...but when the 5k display comes out, it probably won't work with the existing mac pro (which is why apple did not come out with it yet....)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Bingo! You nailed it.

As beautiful as a retina iMac would be to look at, I'd be inclined to wait for the second or third revision myself.

I'd LOVE to have one for editing photos on, though! Retina MacBooks look stunning with high resolution stills.

I'm a huge advocate of workstation grade machines, dual E5-2697 Xeons, dual Quadro K6000s,128 GB ram etc, but I think for many specially if your current machine is more than 3 or 4 years old, you'd be surprised at how fast the new 5K iMac is. It doesn't suit my needs but I think for many this with a TB raid array is a tidy little way to get work done. While not optimal or recommended, if you are not producing content for broadcast, or producing content that will only ever be seen on 8 Bit screens, grading on an 8 Bit panel is not the end of the world.

I always pull up my work on an 8 Bit monitor and consumer tv, alongside the broadcast monitor to make sure to make sure it looks good for the average viewer as that is how it will almost certainly be seen. Kind of like checking audio on some consumer Beats headphones, Apple or Samsung earbuds, or tv speakers etc. Your mix may sound amazing on your studio monitors but that's not how most people will listen to your sound mix. Unless you specifically need something that the iMac is missing, and are locked in on the Mac OS, I would get this machine with out reservation. It looks mighty nice, will fit into a lot of workflows and get the job done for many.