Thread: SLRMagic Vari ND thread

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 SLRMagic Vari ND thread 
    Alright, I guess this one's getting out there.

Check John Brawley's thoughts first: https://vimeo.com/johnbrawley/review...581/6ae5f7095b

And here are some stills from URSA and SLRmagic VariND, no IR CUT:

Pay attention to the black coat and clothes, and also the skin. I know these are a bit green (the top two are with old glass that actually does go a little green), but I could easily balance these and I did not get the impression that I had to fight IR at all.... nor a color cast... nor the dread X.

I'm renting URSA again this weekend, and I'm going to take a look at the VariND on the 4K, 2.5K, Pocket, and URSA. There's nothing scientific going on here because I'm shooting but at the very least I'll be able to form a real opinion on it after seeing it on all of the cameras. My first impression was actually "This is too green, and I'm not sure about IR."

JB's thoughts made me try it again, and my second impression was "I think someone might've just convinced me that there is a such thing as a good and useful VariND".

Don't hold me to it, I dislike VariNDs with a passion... but this might finally be the VariND that passes muster (For me).

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

I have done some outdoor shooting with this as well and can attest to the fact that there is very little if any IR pollution. I'll try to post some results too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    I have done some outdoor shooting with this as well and can attest to the fact that there is very little if any IR pollution. I'll try to post some results too.
    Is that on the BMCC or the pocket or 4k?

I'm currently stuck with the Tiffen IRND's (bought before it was know they were junk on these cameras) and I can't at the moment justify buying a whole set of Hoya's to replace them. So wondering if this Vari ND would be a good purchase until I buy the Hoyas?

Test this on the pocket pls... Good thing I haven't bought the Tiffen VND yet. BTW how much is this SLR magic VND?

The UK distributor quotes 149 / €189. This could be the retail price though, so the actual sales prices might possibly be a little lower.

This looks very promising tho I've not had much issue with the GenusTech Fader.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

Genustech fader has a polarizing effect. I use that with the Hoya IR Cut. May give this SLR Magic a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Genustech fader has a polarizing effect. I use that with the Hoya IR Cut. May give this SLR Magic a try.
    All VariND's have a polarizing effect because they are made of two polarized lenses. After setting your ND you can rotate the whole ND filter assembly to vary the polarization effect (rehouse your IRCut into an old CircPol filter housing).

I am really liking the look of this VariND, SLRMagic is on a roll!

Quote Originally Posted by JuMo View Post
    All VariND's have a polarizing effect because they are made of two polarized lenses. After setting your ND you can rotate the whole ND filter assembly to vary the polarization effect (rehouse your IRCut into an old CircPol filter housing).

I am really liking the look of this VariND, SLRMagic is on a roll!
    Not noticing polarizing effect with Heliopan vari ND, I guess that is why it is so expensive.

Pre order at B&H for $179 USD. Still cheaper than a Tiffen VND + Hoya IR combo. Hoping it gets good results on the pocket.