Thread: BMCC Died During 1.9.3 Update. Wont turn on. Help.

1. #1 BMCC Died During 1.9.3 Update. Wont turn on. Help. 
    So I connected the USB and selected to update to version 1.9.3 for my cinema camera. About five seconds after it started it said software update failed, I guess maybe there was a short in our USB cable but I'm not sure. The camera will not turn on. What do I do?

EDIT: Ok so apparently the camera must have been on Just the screen not showing anything. When I plug the USB cable back in it said this "power on cinema camera". I press the power button briefly like I normally would to start the camera, however the screen didn't turn on (which I already knew it wouldn't) but the update started and now it's updating the firmware?? Is this because the firmware update was corrupted the camera still turns on but the display doesn't work? This is very bizarre behavior
    Last edited by Faymus Media; 08-24-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Hi. I had something similar happen to me a few updates ago. Died during update and wouldn't turn back on. Had to send it in, BMD flashed the firmware and everything's good. I didn't have the camera plugged into the wall, lesson learned. Now I'm waiting out the latest firmware just to see if people have any issues.
    Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF

My 1.9.3 update on a BMPCC stalled twice. I killed the process each time and on the third try it completed the process.

Make sure your cameras are actually plugged in every time you do an update. There's no leeway on this, you're asking to brick your camera.

Also, IMO, I would definitely do a hard restart on my tower or laptop either way. I actually had my Macbook freeze during an update and it wasn't amazing.

Most of the time when these things happen it's someone not having the camera plugged in, so make sure you've done that, check your USB2.0 cables, restart your tower.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Thanks for the comments guys. I actually realized that when the firmware process is halted weather that be the power, the computer or the cable dying or being unplugged the camera goes into a ER state. It still powers the firmware and usb connection but the sensor and the screen dont work. I found that out this afternoon. So when its plugged into a computer with usb again, it will say to turn camera on, when power button is pressed the black magic utility will still be reading and updating the firmware. Then everything gets installed

Looks like BMD has a failsafe in there. GOOD news for us!

Another thing to try in situations like this, is to hold the power button for 10 secs - it makes sure the camera shuts down (if it gets stuck) so you can try turn it on again.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

The most likely culprit for failed firmware updates is the USB connection. Make sure to plugin your camera into the mainboard, not some shady front USB adapter or even a $5 hub. Always make shure you have a cleanly running system, at least with windows its a given, as we are all educated to service our systems. On OSX there shouldn't be that much troubles, as it's not that complex with drivers and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by stier View Post
    The most likely culprit for failed firmware updates is the USB connection. Make sure to plugin your camera into the mainboard, not some shady front USB adapter or even a $5 hub. Always make shure you have a cleanly running system, at least with windows its a given, as we are all educated to service our systems. On OSX there shouldn't be that much troubles, as it's not that complex with drivers and whatnot.
    THIS,

solved my problem when I had to get 1.8.1

I need some help! my BMCC has been working perfect with no flaws at all. I checked BMD website and saw they have an update for it, v 2.1, that adds new frame guide and a couple other things. I downloaded the new firmware, restarted my computer, ran the new update, and it asked for me to plug my camera into it and power on the camera. I turned the camera on and it only came on for about 5 seconds and shut off. Now it won't turn on at all! What could of happened and any ideas on how to get it to turn on again??

Thanks!