Thread: First BMC Footage From John Brawley

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 First BMC Footage From John Brawley 
    We encourage you to check out John Brawley's review of the BMC. He shot some of the first publicly released footage using a pre-release version of the camera.
    http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/201...-from-the-top/
    www.bmcuser.com
    A Landmine Media "User" Community
    The online resource for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

In his post, John mentions that there is some more 'professional' footage he shot with the camera as well but is not yet able to release. Anybody know when this stuff will be coming? I'd like to see the camera in-action on narrative stuff - see how the dr looks on a lit scene, ect.

Saw this camera for myself at NAB, and boy, it does look sexy. like the i-phone of videocameras design wise.

I've done a lot more *professionally lit* scenes with the BMD guys but at the moment they are using it for internal evaluation. The camera has a lot of faults still. I'm already sick of pointing out to people the stuck pixels and noise on my blog. It's hard to justify releasing footage that has faults that will be corrected by production. Even when you tell people it's a prototype, they still seem to want to pick it apart. BMD are wary of releasing too much for this reason.

jb

Thanks John, so are you the only cinematographer they've allowed to play around with the prototype thus far? Have others shot footage that we haven't seen just yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Thanks John, so are you the only cinematographer they've allowed to play around with the prototype thus far? Have others shot footage that we haven't seen just yet?
    I'm the only recognised DOP that has been allowed to use the camera. I'm the only outsider that they've involved in their development. No one else has shot with the camera other than their engineers and developers, This will change soon though. There are only 6 or so working cameras, that are hand made prototypes. They will make some beta cameras up soon and these will start to trickle out to others.

jb

John,

Do you have a frame grab from any scenes you shot with a fast lens (anything faster than f1.8) at its fastest aperture? DOF adapter thread in this forum is just mind-boggling to me. Have you had any difficulty getting a shallow dof shot with this cam?
    Thanks,

BK

John, I just want to put in my thanks to you for being so active and open with the community and taking time to answer our questions. Of course there will be nitpickers when it comes to the footage, but keep in mind you are at the forefront with this camera so feedback (good or bad) will be directed your way for a while.

Yes. John has been fantastic. With all the attention he has been getting since NAB, he still came across as super chill over on DVXuser. Which is why I wanted him to be a part of our new community here, and have a hand in shaping its future

:beer: (need to upload some emoticons, I suppose)
    www.bmcuser.com
    A Landmine Media "User" Community
    The online resource for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

:crack:

(Yeah, emoticons aren't working for me either.)